Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4847 Private John Newton

John Beech

Afternoon All

The above soldier served with 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers and was killed in action at Bellewaarde Ridge on 16th June 1915. He is recorded on Soldiers Died as being born and enlisting in Newcastle upon Tyne. His MIC shows he entered theatre on 10th January 1915 and that he was killed in action. This is also the case with his Medal Roll entries, and confirmed by his entry on SDGW.

However, I cannot find a trace of him on the CWGC at all. I have searched through all known Newton fatalities, those killed on 16th June and those recorded on the Menin Gate, where the majority of those killed on this day are recorded. His Register of Soldiers Effects shows his death on this date and his beneficiary as a Mrs Mary Storey

The 1911 Census only shows three John Newton born in Newcastle with no middle initial:

John Newton a 38 year old labourer

John Newton, 47, a drapery shop porter, born in Newcastle but living in Bristol

John Newton 7

Many of the men who served with 1st Battalion in late 1914 / early 1915 were recalled reservists, so older men frequently occur, but discounting a 47 year old, I am left with a 38 year old labourer who would be around 43 in 1915.

There are many John Newton born in the surrounding Newcastle area, so any suggestions as to how I progress this would be appreciated.

I have raised this with the CWGC but am awaiting a response.

Regards

John

What notation is given against Mrs Mary Storey?

Hi John boy

It just says legate Mrs Mary Storey with no indication of relationship. I am familiar with them saying widow, mother etc but not legate

Regards

John

Newton is named on a very long casualty list attached to the battalion war diary as published on

http://www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk/

Appendix: XXXIV Casualties at HOOGE YPRES

1395 L/Cpl Fairburn H Y S. Wd. to duty 16/06/1915

8769 * Hill R Y Killed 16/06/1915

8160 * Bell H Y Wounded 16/06/1915

7979 Pte Gormely J Y Wounded 16/06/1915

3558 * King J Y S. Wd. to duty 16/06/1915

4847 * Newton J Y Killed 16/06/1915

8117 * Payne A Y Wounded 16/06/1915

8256 * Pyke C Y Wounded 16/06/1915

3811 * Dedman R Y Killed 16/06/1915

8010 * Burnside J Y Wounded 16/06/1915

9924 * Connor J Y Wounded 16/06/1915

8159 * Crombie E Y Wounded 16/06/1915

Hi

A relative has checked the Register of Overseas Deaths which confirms his death but intriguingly lists it as 1916 !

Regards

John

but intriguingly lists it as 1916 !

Presumably just a simple clerical error.

May I ask what information you've already raised with CWGC? Enough for them to be able to establish the correct date of death?

Just to advise that the In From the Cold Project already has in hand a commemoration submission to CWGC. We'll have "found" him when we cross-checked SDGW and the GRO deaths listings against CWGC.

We can now offer CWGC and the National Army Museum the further information raised here including the Effects Register, war diary entry and the will probate. It all should serve to confirm correct date of death which may have been an issue delaying commemoration.

John

Morning John

I have only passed the CWGC the information included in my original post. To be honest this is the first time in my research I have come across a possible non commemoration, so happy to leave it to the experts! I see your connection with the In From The Cold Project and I did pass on the information to the website as well

Regards

John

John

I'll try and remember to keep you posted, as & when I hear anything. But apologies in advance if time passes and I forget.

John

John

Many thanks I would be interested in the outcome, especially as Bellewaarde is of particular interest to me. In fact I will be there on the 100th Anniversary on 16th June

Regards

John

John

As you know now from Terry's email to you, we hadnt submitted his name when we found it in 2009 due to the discrepancy over date of death. All now sorted and the submission has gone in.

It's prompted us to have a look at all our other cases that were on the back burner to see if we can make any progress. As such, our thanks to you for nudging us along.

John

Hi John

Happy to help in a very very small way. John Newton died 100 years ago this month and it is gratifying to know that people still care enough to make sure his sacrifice is remembered.

Regards

John