Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Edgar Simpson 5732

blackrodd20

My friends, mother's uncle, Edgar Simpson, 5732, was killed in France, oct 7 1917,

Apart from a bundle of letters from France, that she still has, the remaining family know nothing more.

Although I am aware this is a pitiful amount of information, I wondered if it were enough, as he was killed,

to be able to find any more of him

Thanks in great hope Rodders

It should be plenty of information, but I can't find him using those details.

Do you know where he was from, and is there any clue as to regiment in the letters?

Can you confirm his name and service number as it seems he is not listed on CWGC? Do you know where he is buried or commemorated?

Hi Rodders,

Can't find him either. In addition to the questions of IPT and johnboy, may if ask do you know what the reference is for his death being on 7th October 1917? There are a couple of men recorded as having died that day with the same surname, but not with the same first name. Is the number you mention his service number, as I couldn't reference him on just that either.

Regards

Chris

Hi

Looking here for a guide is a the best start - http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/research.html

Is this him - service records on Ancestry-

Name:

Edgar Simpson

Male

Birth Date:

abt 1886

Enlistment Age:

Marriage Date:

20 Sep 1911

Marriage Place:

Bournemouth

Document Year:

Residence Place:

42 Market Place, Devizes

Regimental Number:

Regiment Name:

Army Service Corps

Note number!!

But he did not die in 1917 , died in 1918 according to service record??

Checking CWGC - http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/239067/SIMPSON,%20EDGAR, note different service number, but it has that in his records.

So look at them and more to find.

regards

Robert

That appears to be him, armed with what you have found, I was able to find his WO 363, and his new number 326839, as you said.

Thank you all very much for the very fast information, I can now report back and fill in those unknown details for the family.

Lastly, I can see the question of his accidental death arising, how, etc,Do you have any advice as to how I could find this out, please?

Is it looking at RASC Diaries for 13th nov 1918 based in or near Dieppe?

Many thanks Rodders

21 November 1918 - North Devon Journal - Barnstaple, Devon

Edgar Simpson, despatch rider in the A.S.C. son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Slmpkin, of the Music Warehouse, The Square, Barnstaple after passing two years' service France fell victim to a fatal motor accident November 13th two days after the signing of the Armistice. The sad news was conveyed to Barnstaple on Sunday, ln a wire from the father of the deceased, Mr. E. T. Simpson, of Devizes.

Is there no record of an inquiry in his service papers?

Hi Rodders,

For what it's worth, for me, you've made a massive leap from the info that you originally provided, not least accepting the date of death from October 1917 to being November 1918.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

Hi Rodders,

For what it's worth, for me, you've made a massive leap from the info that you originally provided, not least accepting the date of death from October 1917 to being November 1918.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

You're right there Chris, quite amazing really.

I did say to the person who enquired that there was not enough information, but in the best scenario, Having a wo363 showing his new number was very fortunate.

Thanks all again, Rodders