Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badges

SFayers

Hi folks,

I recently bought a pair of medals to a gunner in the RGA (Gnr Frederick R. Bartrop 159953), and I noticed on his MIC that he was also awarded (or at least entitled to) a Silver War Badge. On the MIC it just states "SWB List RGA/1540".

How would I go about tracing the number of this chap's SWB? Do the SWB lists still exist, and what sort of information do they give?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Yes they stil exist but you need to go to the archives or hire a researcher to look up the book they are in.

Andy

Steve,

Sorry, i should add they contain his regimental number, rank, name in full, unit discharged from, number of badge and certificate, date of enlistment and discharge,cause of discharge (wounds, sickness etc etc) and whether he served overseas.

The list number has to be compared to a book in the archives which gives the document number to order. Hope this answers your question.

Andy

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Steve,

Sorry, i should add they contain his regimental number, rank, name in full, unit discharged from, number of badge and certificate, date of enlistment and discharge,cause of discharge (wounds, sickness etc etc) and whether he served overseas.

The list number has to be compared to a book in the archives which gives the document number to order. Hope this answers your question.

Andy

This information is not universdal for every unit - I am still trying to establish the full name of a Royal Engineer whose 14/15 Star trio and SWB I have and what his age was!