Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Crail, ASC, Regt No: M/ 333643

Guest sally31

Hi,

I'm trying to research my grandfather's WW1 service in the Army Service Corps & hoped that someone could offer me advice or information. We think that he was a driver, spent time in Mesopotamia, Northern India and probably Dunsterforce.

His service records are amongst those that have been destroyed, but the medal roll index has the following details for him:

Private John Crail; Corps: ASC; Regt No: M/333643; Medal roll ref: RASC/101 B230 23711

I would love to know what his regimental number means. Would this information allow us to determine what unit he served in, or allow us access to any other information? Before and after the war, John was living in Wallasey, on the Wirral.

Thanks in advance,

Sally

Hello Sally

A warm welcome to the forum, as I have not been playing on the forum for a long time due to health problems, I was surprised to find a question along the lines of what I also want to find out about.

Regarding your query, I think that I am right in saying that your grandfather would have served in a ASC Mechanical Transport unit, as from memory the M prefix on his regimental number would indicate this.

Best wishes David.