Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Mosin Nagant rifles

Khaki

A few weeks ago I tried to purchase a photograph of German soldiers posing with Mosin Nagant rifles, not common but also not unusual, as we know rear echelon soldiers often were issued with captured weapons, Russian rifles having been captured in large numbers.

What made the photo very interesting was that on close examination the rifles were fitted with sling swivels of a type that I had always believed were a later Finnish modification. I did not 'win' the photo but it did fascinate me.

These are photographs of a 1895 manufactured Russian rifle with Imperial Russian receiver markings that has a small SA mark indicating later Finnish Army ownership, it has the type of sling swivels that were in the GW German photograph. Please ignore the sling as it is neither Russian nor Finnish.

Does anyone else have photographs of German troops with Russian rifles with such sling swivels or have knowledge of them.

post-29707-0-51061600-1432829453_thumb.jpost-29707-0-32679800-1432829484_thumb.j

ps, (the photographs of my rifle swivels are probably Finnish and are just to illustrate my question.)

thanks for any help

khaki

post-29707-0-45542400-1432833406_thumb.jpost-29707-0-97408300-1432833474_thumb.j

Photographs of receiver marking of an earlier Mosin Nagant, cypher of Peter the Great I believe.

khaki

post-29707-0-06244200-1432834676_thumb.j

As I am on a Russian kick this morning. I thought you might like to see this m1895 Nagant, not uncommon I know, but I still like it. It came with holster, lanyard , cleaning rod and (three boxes of ammo, date unknown but probably 30's to 40's.) Only negative is it does have import marks, oh well!

khaki

What vintage is the M1895? Almost all of the ones I have seen from that batch of imports (CAI) were WWII vintage.

Chris

What vintage is the M1895? Almost all of the ones I have seen from that batch of imports (CAI) were WWII vintage.

Chris

Hello Chris,

yes the m95 is post ww1, 1930 I think, they were once common in most gun stores but have disappeared lately and I grabbed the last one they had, just missed out on an Imperial from the same dealer but they are at a premium as you probably know.

khaki