Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed identifying cap badge

Lucy Pitt

This is a photograph of my grandfather John AO McLoughlin.

Does anyone recognise the cap badge? I have no idea who he served with, but do know that he spent some of the war time in Mesopotamia.

The back of the photograph reads "You will dear mother notice my step in the ladder of promotion. Address my letters 213893 Bdr Jno McLoughlin" 18th September 1918.

I know its not a lot to go on but its all I have!

Thank you

Lucy Pitt

post-23-1100256712.jpg

Lucy

He is in the Royal Field Artillery - see the RFA shoulder title. Another "clue" is his new rank of Bombardier, which is the term for Corporals in the Artillery.

It's a Royal Field Artillery Cap Badge, and I suspect the brass on his shoulder says RFA though I can't tell for sure 'cos my screen isn't very high resolution. The lanyard from breast pocket over his shoulder is also an artillery thing.

Cheers

Thank you both!

You'll have to forgive my ignorance to all things military I'm rather new to this.

Can I find out what Brigade he was in? If so how? Also another photograph I have, taken a year earlier in 1917 shows him on horseback. Was this usual for the field artillery or may that be of some help?

I really want to find out as much as I can about his time during the war but feel the brick wall getting bigger!

If so how?  Also another photograph I have, taken a year earlier in 1917 shows him on horseback.  Was this usual for the field artillery or may that be of some help?

Hi there Lucy.

Field artillery was moved around by horse teams, and the RFA had thousands of horses. Accordingly, its members usually wore spurs.

Cheers,

Ste

Thank you both!

You'll have to forgive my ignorance to all things military I'm rather new to this.

Can I find out what Brigade he was in? If so how? Also another photograph I have, taken a year earlier in 1917 shows him on horseback. Was this usual for the field artillery or may that be of some help?

I really want to find out as much as I can about his time during the war but feel the brick wall getting bigger!

Lucy

You can obtain his "Medal Index Card" online. It costs £3.50 IIRC.

Search this site and you will find the site details. National Archives - ex Public Record Office - I think.

Where was he from? My grandmother's sister married a McLoughlin, from Birkenhead.

Completely off topic, but you'd have thought that the person taking the picture would have pointed out the huge "dent" in the soldiers cap to make him look a bit smarter!