Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF badge on RFC headstones

Mark Hone

Am I right in thinking that RFC dead have RAF badges on their headstones? Has this always been the case? I happened to notice in Tyne Cot that our Bury Grammar School boy Lt. John Binns RFC (killed 1917) has the same 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' badge on his grave as the RAF man next to him. Surely the RFC badge was different.

By coincidence I have just spent the last three days looking for an RFC badge on headstones in the Salient - and failed.

The headstones were produced in the 1920s/30s and often incorporated unit or regiment name changes that had not happened at the time of the casualty's death - hence most RFC stones have the RAF badge (incorrectly in my view). You will also see inscriptions such as 'Royal Army Service Corps' when it should correctly be simply 'Army Service Corps' - again because the change had not occurred at the time of the death.

However, I am convinced that I have seen RFC headstones in the UK with an RFC badge (the letters RFC within a wreath) rather than RAF. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where!

The CWGC engraved the badge they were told to use by the military authorities (and presumably still do for new ones). However, the details in their database are given in the correct form at the time of the casualty's death. Some anomalies are still being found but are gradually being weeded out. (ie those affecting ASC, Newfoundland Regt etc etc).

They faced a problem with RFC men who sustained severe wounds in their RFC days & were discharged before the formation of the RAF but who died of their injuries after discharge between the dates 01.04.18 and 31.08.21. Are they recorded as RAF or RFC? I believe these all appear as RAF. The same could apply to men of other units who died after discharge.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

In a similar vein, medals to those who served in the RFC & went overseas with the RFC are in my experience marked to the RAF. Only when someone has been a casualty or discharged before 1 April 1918 will you see RFC marked on the rim. This applies to the War & Victory medal only. I have never seen a 14 or 14/15 Star marked to the RAF.

Anyone with a different experience?

Ian

:)

The only cemetery I have seen them in is Cabaret Rouge Cemetery, Souchez - and they are all replacement headstones and not 'originals' and they have only done it for one or two graves in a couple of rows - not in the entire cemetery.

To settle this discussion, this morning I got in touch with my contacts at CWGC to find out what the story was behind this and it goes like this.....

These headstones bear one of three different badges - in order of use

Version One - RAF with belt & buckle (WW1)

Version Two - RAF without belt & buckle (WW2)

Version Three - RFC

Version One (RAF) was used for early RFC/RAF headstones but in 1921 the Version Two (RAF) type of the badge was given IN ERROR to the engravers and has been used for the majority of RFC/RAF WW1 headstones. The second version should only appear on WW2 RAF headstones.

HOWEVER, when an RFC/RAF WW1 headstone needs replacing it is being replaced with the correct badge - either RFC or early RAF. (so RFC badged headstones do exist).

A couple of days ago I happened to take this picture at Isleworth Cemetery of what I have regarded for a while , an unusual memorial. The right hand badge is, I believe, for the RFC.

If you need full size photo let me know and I will email it to you.

Regards

Myrtle

post-19-1052402300.jpg

John Binns' grave at Tyne Cot is one of the very badly worn ones to the right of the Cross of Sacrifice as you come up from the main entrance. They must be due for imminent replacement-no chance they will put the RFC badge on the new one?

Thanks everybody for your informative replies. I will keep my eye out for 'proper' RFC badges on graves.

There's an RFC badged grave in Burnley Cemetery in Lancashire. I'll post a photo when I get round to visiting it.

Dave.