Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet restoration procedure the French way

trajan

This may be of interest to some of the more technologically capable among the rusty bayonet and scabbard afficionados out there!

See: http://www.patiorlander.toile-libre.org/restauration/la_restauration.html

Needless to say, not being a technological-minded chap, I'd be interested in any comments on the procedures set out in that link.

Electrolysis is a really good way of cleaning up rust as it is totally non abrasive. Its easily done with a very modest outlay and produces really good results. I've cleaned up really rusty items and found original markings under much clag. It isnt a miracle process though and wont restore 'to factory settings' as any pitting will be permanent. It is very messy though. It is also very hands off and lets you do other things.

Interesting link. I don't really like the "stripped back to bare metal" look, but I guess if the alternative is a rusty bayonet with illegible markings then its a good way forward.

Important to note that STAINLESS STEEL plates/rods should NOT be used as the sacrificial anodes, because of the CHROMIUM content of most stainless steels. Chromium salts are VERY poisonous, and I have read that it is illegal to dispose of them down the drain in many countries.

Better to use ordinary steel plates or rods.

Regards,

JMB