Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual 1915 Enfield SMLE III without cut off

cooper

I thought I would check out my Dad's enfield and found it to be quite unusual. Possibly another exception to the normal range of enfield options and types.

This example is a 1915 dated III but manufactured without cut off. Enfield introduced the cut off in 1916. The serial number is 'I 7392'. It has the earlier style round cocking piece also.

Also the barrel does not have any markings except deact stamp and logo/initials FBE or FFBF. Is this a commercial barrel?

It is a nice rifle that was deactivated in 1994, so not a usual bitsa rifle encountered nowadays.

Your thoughts on the enfield would be greatly received.

Cut off detail

Cut off detail

Barrel details

post-586-0-76479100-1432453818_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-03638500-1432453889_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-40605400-1432453995_thumb.jpg

It would not be the first time that a pre-1916 rifle has popped up without the cut-off slot. (It was the slot that was deleted on Mk.III*s) Are there no vestiges of the slot? Are there any signs of volley sights, and does it have a windage adjustable back sight?

Do you have a picture of the left side of the butt socket?

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the area under the safety is blank but will double check.

The whole rifle (excluding the round bolt assembly) is to III* spec, yet it's dated and marked as III.

Maybe using an older receiver?

Thanks

James

BSA certainly started producing rifles in MkIII* format (without the cut-off) in 1915 (thought to be around Sept) before the official approval in the LoC in early 1916. Who is the manufacturer of your rifle? I7392 would, based on observed serial numbers, be consistent with a 1916 RSAF Enfield produced rifle. Do the serials match in all places (bolt, receiver, underside of rear sight, nosecap, forestock)?

There are a number of other changes associated with the MkIII* as Beerhunter indicates (absence of volley sights, fixed rear sight cap, altered lug on the striker, loop instead of swivel lug in front of magazine, modification of the forestock to cover area formerly occupied by cut off)

In fact it is not all that uncommon to find "transitional" rifles with features of both formats, in fact the LoC (Para 17622) referring to Rifle, Short MLE MkIII* without cut off makes it clear that "In the future[ie after Jan 1916] rifles of the above mentioned pattern MAY [emphasis mine] embody any of the following modifications..." these were not required changes but options that the manufacturer may introduce to simplify production.

I can see from your picture that your rifle still has the swivel lug forward of the magazine area, but does have the higher cut fore-end covering the area of the cutoff, can't see other elements in these pics. Perhaps you could post an overall view of the rifle?

Chris

I do not know the meaning of the FBE stamp - new one on me. Is it perhaps a gunsmith's/gun dealers stamp? (Beerhunter?) if the barrel is not serial numbered / dated etc then it is likely a replacement.

Thanks for the replies.

Enfield changed to III* in 1916, this being 1915, marked as a III but spec wise appears to be III*

Rear site does not have windage and is the later type, the nosecap is unnumbered.

Please see pics attached. I will upload full pic when my father sends it,

More images

post-586-0-37802000-1432500014_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-55277000-1432500047_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-48925500-1432500155_thumb.jpg

I do not know the meaning of the FBE stamp - new one on me. Is it perhaps a gunsmith's/gun dealers stamp? (Beerhunter?) if the barrel is not serial numbered / dated etc then it is likely a replacement.

Chris,

That mark may be F.B.P., which is a Portuguese mark, indicating this rifle may have had a ' Portuguese ' connection.

Regards,

LF