Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

what is a "mentioned "communique" war office" ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

can any one elaborate on what the above means ? The NCO in question served the entire war at home

cheers

post-3871-0-65926500-1432210810_thumb.jp

Any guess' then ?

Having seen his name in your other post about the Ruggles/King issue I looked for those names in the LG and found nothing. But what does it say before the date, is it df ?? Does that suggest it is published somewhere in df on that date??

TEW

I just thought it said "of"

I've heard of "B" mention in despatches and wondered if that

and yes it is Ruggles - I didnt look in the LG even as didnt think it would be there but thanks for checking

• Admin

The Times published a list on from the War Office March 26 and March 27 of officers and men who had 'performed valuable service in connexion with the war' and noting a note should be made on the service record unfortunately I can't see Ruggles and he doesn't come up on a search but the date is right.

The War Office issued frequent communiques at the risk of upsetting the purists I think we'd call ten 'press releases'.

Ken

Found this on a Regimental Vets site,

Honourable Mention To Secretary of State for War.

War Office Communique Dated - - - 1919. Stating Name, Regt,etc, with the above " performed valuable service etc.

John

Thanks - a trawl of The Times is required then

Ken - which date of the Times are they - do you have a link as cant find anyone let along Ruggles !

cheers

found him !

Snap, 26 March page 19 col A. Under Director of the chief of the imperial general staff.

TEW

post-3871-0-07313800-1432495457_thumb.jp

post-3871-0-32241000-1432495599_thumb.jp

Snap, 26 March page 19 col A. Under Director of the chief of the imperial general staff.

TEW

cheers

thanks all - without being pointed in the right direction Id not have found him. Never occurred me to look in the Times and when Ken confirmed some details it was just a case of looking until i found him