Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC 230 lb Light Case bomb fuze

IvyPReed

I can't find this information posted in any other forum, but if it is, please direct me!

I'm doing a project on disarming WWI bombs and I need information on the fuzes for the RFC 230 lb bomb that was used as an aerial bomb in WWI. Everything I've looked at is really vague on how the bomb was constructed. The books in our library are pretty limited, so I'm doing alot of internet research.

• Where is the fuze located? I've looked at pictures and it looks like it was probably in the tail as I can't see that the nose would have unscrewed like the Cooper bomb.
  • Encyclopedia Britannica said some aerial light case bombs had a time-delay fuze and an additional percussion fuze. I'm not sure if it means the bomb had two fuzes or that it used a T&P fuze. Does anyone know what that means?
  • Would the fuze have been covered by something, like a cap?
  • Once the gaine is removed, is the gaine no longer dangerous? I've read a lot about fuzes and removing the gaine to make the fuze inert, but no one says much about the gaine after removal! I saw a passage in a book (Danger UXB: The Heroic Story of the WWII Bomb Disposal Teams) that said the engineer put the gaine in his pocket after unscrewing it from the fuze. I thought that probably meant it wasn't dangerous anymore, but I don't want to assume.

Any help would be really great!

Ivy

I'm curious - I'm assuming you are just after the information and not involved with anybody planning to physically disarm an example. Render safe procedures will be different for each type of munition or ordnance depending on the circumstances and should only be left to qualified professionals involved in formal EOD or UXO clearance.

Hi Mark,

No way would I want to disarm a bomb!! I've read too many stories in the last few weeks about kids playing with live stuff, it's pretty scary. Actually, I wouldn't even touch anything like a bomb or a fuze even if I was told it was ok, cos I don't know how to tell if it's safe and I like my hands where they are :)

It's just a story, I don't need to know how to actually disarm it!! Just which end the fuze is on, and if the gaine is still dangerous after it's removed and what has to happen to it. We have to do a report from the point of view of a soldier, and I thought this kind of bomb would be more drama because it's big enough so everyone else has to be evacuated a long way away. It probably sounds a bit dumb, but small bombs are a bit undramatic (I know they're killers too). If nobody knows I can make it up, but I have to give sources for my info.

Ivy

I'm disappointed, I imagined you sat in your shed surrounded by sandbags with tool box open.

There is a distinct lack of information on WW1 aerial bombs and fuzes but as soon as you make something up the experts will fall over themselves to point out the mistakes. There are some real experts on ordnance on here try PM'ing Rod, aka 31543 Ogilwy.

Mick

Thanks Mick,

Ivy, PM me with what you are after exactly (and if possible what for) as this would determine the depth of answer. I can discuss open source things but not details of our work.

Rod

Ivy - you are in good hands now, Rod is the best placed person to assist you. I think your initial post was slightly ambiguous and could possibly have painted a picture of you bent over a bomb with hammer and chisel in hand and a slightly maniacal gleam in your eye! Glad this is not the case, unfortunately there are people out there that fit that description! :-)

Mark

Yo Mark,

Hope your day on the plain was great? At least you were not reliving the Somme experience. Need to talk archaeology with you some time I'll give you a ring.

Rod

On the 230lb Bomb they used delayed action and impact fuzes. The delayed action fuzes were not successful. The details of the fuzes I don't know about. However I have the complete instruction manual on 40lb Phosphorus bombs with detailed drawings of the fuze, including a diagram of the correct way and incorrect way of punching the fuze for timing and to ensure it is in contact with the powder as these were to be dropped on Kite Balloons. You may have this information or do not require it. However If you do, PM me and I could e-mail the information to you ,

I have the fuzing for the 230 and 250's, the central tube is massively over complicated and the two fuzes appear to be less than reliable. I shall look at work next week fo the write up's on their success rate if we have it.

R

Hi Ivy,

I'm sure Rod will assist with all the information you require. However, in the meantime, attached is a photo of the groundcrew of 149 Squadron, RAF loading a 230lb bomb on to an FE2 B in June 1918. Sorry about the quality of the photo. A copy can be obtained from the Imperial War Museum. The photo number is Q11551.

Regards,

Michael.

post-53132-0-45367500-1432285333_thumb.j

From "Details of Aerial Bombs", Leaflet No. 7, Air Ministry, 1918, herewith a diagram of a Bomb, HE, RFC, 230lb, Light Case MkI.

post-120931-0-78654500-1432301998_thumb.

Also from the Air Ministry "Details of Aerial Bombs", drawings of tail pistol and fuze, and various exploders, which fit into the central tube of the bomb.

post-120931-0-63252300-1432302779_thumb.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and pix, I had a couple of pix but not a diagram which is awesome! I never seem to find stuff like this when I search! 14276265, is it okay to use this diagram? I don't want to if it's copyrighted or anything.

Just to repeat, I don't need (or want) to know how to defuse a bomb! Very very happy to leave that to the experts. I've done a lot of reading lately, and I think they are the most amazing and brave men. I just want some technical details regarding placement of parts and proper disposal of bits so I don't embarrass myself :)

Ivy

Ivy,

The leaflets were no doubt Crown Copyright when published in 1918. Copies are held at the National Archives, Kew under Air Historical Branch Papers, AIR 1/704/27/7/1-2 - Details of aerial bombs. Leaflets Nos. 1-24.

There is no problem in using extracts from such official documents if they are for private and research study purposes, or for educational purposes, but if it's a commercial use then I believe the National Archives will advise.

Tom.