The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Allied Training Missions in the US (1917-18)

4thGordons

Does anyone have any suggestions for sources (official or other) on Allied Training Missions in the United States in 1917 and 1918?

I have just run across a list of 9 officers (4 British and 5 French) who were providing infantry training in Houston, Texas from November 1917 on, and I am interested in looking at the organization of such missions, their number, curricula, how instructors were chosen etc.

Any pointers appreciated.

Chris

Chris

I have a copy of Who's Who in the British War Mission in the USA,1918, which amongst other things gives biographical details of officers with the training part of the mission and what they were responsible for and where in the USA. . I don't know how complete it is but I will go through it and let you know. It may take a while though.

TR

Thanks Terry.

The officers I am particularly interested in are:

Capt E.M. Barlow. 5th Royal Fusiliers

1/Lt RGW Callaghan Connaught Rangers

1/Lt ER Robinson 7 Kings Liverpool

1/Lt JL Thorman 18 Durham Light Infantry

I believe these men arrived at Camp Logan in Texas in November 1917. They were accompanied by NCOs but those names are not given.

Thanks very much.

Chris

EDIT: I have found a copy of the work you mention online so I will have a look though it. THANKS.

EDIT II: well a quick look through and it does not appear to list any of these officers in the bio section.

Edited by 4thGordons

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this one up to ask if anyone has anything on these officers:

Capt E.M. Barlow. 5th Royal Fusiliers

1/Lt RGW Callaghan Connaught Rangers

1/Lt ER Robinson 7 Kings Liverpool

1/Lt JL Thorman 18 Durham Light Infantry

I believe these men arrived at Camp Logan in Texas in November 1917 as advisors to 33rd Div who were training there.

I have details of some speeches given by others but would be interested in anything on these men for a project I am working on.

TIA

Chris