Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 25 General Hospital, Hardelot, Pas de Calais

KateJ

I have written on my blog the story of how I found the postcards of VAD nurse Clara Woolnough, and how she and Gertrude Unwin were sent to Number 25 General Hospital.

On Saturday, I meet the descendants of Clara, and I also met Haverhillian. It would be fantastic to discover what happened to Gertrude after the war and the name of the hospital where she became the matron.

Here's the story of Clara's postcards

This is the site that comes up when looking for British Journal of Nursing, and the archive page doesn't work.

This is the site that comes up when looking for British Journal of Nursing, and the archive page doesn't work.

If that's a reply to me, I have now located the catalogue search page:

http://archives.rcn.org.uk/CalmView/advanced.aspx?src=DServe.Catalog

I searched on Unwin and there were no results, but I can confirm that the catalogue is working, as searching on my grandmother's name (Stemp) called up their interview with her.

I have found and downloaded digitised version of British Journal of Nursing from 1910 to 1923, and have read through the whole lot! There is no mention of Unwin and it would appear from some articles that appear in the journals that the V.A.Ds were thought of as inferior to Nurses. That being the case I doubt very much that I shall find any record of Gertrude Unwin regarding her nursing career.

Just occurred to me - is she mentioned in Lyn McDonald's Flowers of No Man's Land? I can't recall if that is indexed.