Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French WWI Veteran speaks

andigger

This is great, thanks mate. Ferdinand Gilson looks pretty good for his age, (106)too. Spent 6 months in the trenches on the WF.

Robbie

This is great, thanks mate. Ferdinand Gilson looks pretty good for his age, (106)too. Spent 6 months in the trenches on the WF.

Robbie

"But happily, there was wine -- seven to nine liters a day for the strongest."

And he is 106 years old, there is hope for us yet :)

On a lighter vein a friend of mine told me that when he first went to France just after WW2 he saw posters around saying, 'not more than five per day' and showing a wine bottle. He assumed it was five glass. He was astound when someone told him that it was five litres!

That was considered to be cutting back.

On a lighter vein a friend of mine told me that when he first went to France just after WW2 he saw posters around saying, 'not more than five per day' and showing a wine bottle. He assumed it was five glass. He was astound when someone told him that it was five litres!

That was considered to be cutting back.

I must tell my wife!

• 1 year later...

Just to bring Ferdinand Gilson back up again ... .

As one of the last surviving poilus, 107-year old Ferdinand Gilson is rapidly emerging as the French Harry Patch. Honoured by politicians, fêted by his village and interviewed by the national press he has been sharing his memories with the French public. He joined up in 1917 in the infantry, and later served as part of an artillery crew on a 75mm cannon. Twice gassed, he fought at Mount Kemmel in Belgium, on the Somme and in l’Aisne.

Some of his most vivid memories of trench life focus on the cuisine. He is reported as saying, “The meat was so bad that we had to hold our noses as we ate it. Sometimes we had to eat it at night so we didn’t see the maggots.. At least we had wine. Two litres a day for the youngsters and seven litres a day for the old hands.”

During WW2 he was active in the Resistance helping to hide airmen and forging papers for young Frenchmen to help them escape force labour. But even after two wars and an occupation he bears no ill-will to his former foes. “As soldiers the only Germans we ever saw were prisoners. They were just poor lads like us who fought the best they could. We never thought about what we did. We just had a job to do. That’s war.”

So previous reports of only 5 litres a day wine ration look to be a little on the low side.

Hedley - thanks for the update. Very interesting as I dont think there is enough in the British language "library" about the Poilus (but there is only one Harry Patch)!!

Folks

Great to hear from other countries' veterans, M. Gilson certainly sounds like quite a character (although I will also agree that there is only Harry Patch).

Purely in the name of "science", I would be quite willing to take part in an experiment to discover whether it is possible to consume 5 litres of cheap red wine a day & remain compus mentus.........

I understand that the French Foreign Legion (if not the whole of the French armed forces) are still issued with a daily wine ration.

Cheers (hic!)

Mark

I don't know about others, but wouldn't 5 LITRES of wine A DAY render a trooper fairly useless? Obviously not!

My guess is that it was used as a form of personal "central heating" (as cigarettes would do in another way)

Gloria