Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

De Ruvigny's Memorial Roll

Guest 2contemptable

Guest 2contemptable

Hello All,

I have read posts elsewhere on the Forum about some stout hearted individuals contemplating the creation of an index for the five volumes of this publication.

I have never seen these volumes, in fact I have only recently discovered their existence. Could some kind owner tell me whether these records include casualties right up to the end of the war, or did the author (out of necessity) edit the entries, post 1916?

It seems to be a useful research tool, a similar sounding publication exists in Ireland entitled 'Our Heroes' however this is restricted to mostly officer casualties and those men from Ireland who were decorated etc. It has been republished by Naval and Miliary Press.

I understand that the same publishers offer De Ruvigny's Memorial Roll for sale and I was wondering if members owning a copy could give me their appraisal of it, before I take the plunge and buy a copy!!!

Many thanks

James.

Having owned the N&M volumes for a couple of years I recently took to perusing about 20 pages a night and now wish I had done this as soon as they arrived - last night I happily came across the entry for Lt-Col Dawson of the 6 West Kent's (a truly Great Man with 4 DSO's, died aged 27) who sadly died of wounds 3 December 1918.

Hopefully that answers to both your questions :D

Guest 2contemptable

Signals,

Thanks for that. The entry you refer to is incredible, a 27 year old Lt. Col. and 4 DSO's he must have been quite an individual and all the more tragic to have managed to survive the carnage only to die of wounds after the war.

Good luck with your efforts!!

James

Dawson was an incredible individual and I was pleased and pleasantly surprised an entry existed for him (literally the day before I had copied his DSO citations not knowing they were included in his obit).

Another example is a month ago I was reading of another Lt-Col (coincidence) Richard Bendyshe, RMLI, killed by friendly fire near Lone Pine. I had been fortunate enough to be at his graveside a few weeks earlier but it wasnt until I found him in de Ruvigny that I realised he was a Great-nephew of Horatio Nelson - some pedigree.

The volumes are full of interesting snipets although I should add some entries are little more than an 8 word sentence.

Without sounding too thick, can i ask what exactly is covered in the books? :blink:

I have never seen them before.

Thanks

Without sounding too thick, can i ask what exactly is covered in the books? :blink:

I have never seen them before.

Thanks

To quote the cover de RUVIGNY'S ROLL OF HONOUR: A BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF MEMBERS OF HMs NAVAL, MILITARY & AERIAL FORCES WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918.

I think it holds approaching 70,000 obituary entries.

Guest 2contemptable

Anthony and Signals

Thanks a lot, now how do I explain yet another 'absolutely must have - cant do without' publication arriving at the door. :( I fear that she will not believe the old lie (no pun intended) that it only cost a fiver?

Still its got to be worth a try!

Cheers

James.

Good Day Signals,

Would it be possible to look in your roll for an officer who died in 1918, 19th May to be exact. His rank and name are as follows: Lt Col E W Furse RFA, he is buried at Dormans in France, but have no idea where or how he died, any help greatfully received.

Colin

To quote the cover de RUVIGNY'S ROLL OF HONOUR: A BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF MEMBERS OF HMs NAVAL, MILITARY & AERIAL FORCES WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918.

I think it holds approaching 70,000 obituary entries.

Thanks signals!

Good Day Signals,

Would it be possible to look in your roll for an officer who died in 1918, 19th May to be exact. His rank and name are as follows: Lt Col E W Furse RFA, he is buried at Dormans in France, but have no idea where or how he died, any help greatfully received.

Colin

Not there I am afraid although there was a Capt George Armand Furse, RFA dow 14 Sept 1914. A relation? George, interestingly, was born Rhode Island.