Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service during the Great War

Adnepos

1117 Fred POWELL attested to 4 years territorial service in the 5th (Earl of Chester) Bt of the Cheshire Regiment in 1909, having previously served in the 6th Bn. In his 1917 wedding photo (attached) he was in uniform. The marriage was at Fernilee, Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire; he had no prior connection to this area -his bride was born and lived there.

I have failed to find documents for his service during the war.

However, handed down, I know that he didn't go abroad and that he drove lorries, based in Plymouth Grove, Longsight, Manchester.

There was a large locomotive depot (for the LNWR, rival to the Midland Rly) in Longsight that would have had an appetite for coal. Maybe he had a job transporting coal from places like Fernilee (yes, it would have been sensible to put it on the CHPR). Maybe he collected gunpowder from the mill at Fernilee...

Anyway, I would be very pleased for advice on how to find out more about what he did during the war.

post-105117-0-09210300-1431798401_thumb.

He was born 18 January 1889 at 103 Hyde Road, Woodley by Bredbury, Stockport.

Interestingly, when he signed up for the Cheshire Regiment (2nd time), he was living in Lancashire (Heaton Mersey)!

He has a service record on Find My Past - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7373271%2f8%2f184- which shows his Territorial service ended in 1913. Generally speaking if he had re-enlisted with them the records would have been together.

It may well be that he had re-enlisted (or even been conscripted) during the war in to a totally different unit - possibly the Army Service Corps.

Have you got his wedding certificate ?. There may be more details of his service listed on that .

Craig

Hi Craig

Sometimes I am really dumb; the marriage certificate provides very useful information!

The attached detail from his marriage certificate shows that on 1 Nov 1917 he was a Private in the Army Service Corps (Steam Waggon Driver), as you suggested!!

Also attached is picture of him 'propping up' his Sentinel Steam Waggon, some fund-raising do by the looks.

I can't find additional information on Fred POWELL relating to his time in the Army Service Corps. Living on Plymouth Grove, I guess he would have been delivering supplies in the Manchester area to the railway system. Given his marriage to a Fernilee girl, presumably he had a regular run out to that part of the world.

Assuming that he served only in the Manchester area during the war, I assume he would be unlikely to be entitled to any medal.

post-105117-0-08963500-1432240194_thumb.

post-105117-0-03147400-1432242919_thumb.

As a general rule (always some exceptions) he would not have received any medals for home service short of any bravery medals or medals for distinguished service.

Craig