Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

COMET and Lt Cdr Edgar C Cookson VC

seaJane

I'm following up on this thread about Surgeon Dermot Loughlin

She is described both as a gunboat and as a "paddle yacht" (ref: The Naval VCs, by Stephen Snelling).

I can't get a feel for the size or look of her at all. Can anyone tell me? Is there a picture of her anywhere, or something comparable? She can't be the same as HMS COMET (1910).

Baffled.

sJ

OK so I think I may have answered my own question. How does RIM (Royal Indian Marine) Launch COMET sound?

As in, http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/4b578eb4-466d-4774-bb94-8c9256cf9fe1

and this from navy.net:

COMET, paddle launch-tug, ex-RIM, ex-official yacht of British Resident at Baghdad. 144 tons. Armed with 1-3pdr from ESPIEGLE, later 1-6pdr/3-3pdr/2-MGs. In service from 5.11.14. Battle Honour - Mesopotamia 1914/15. Lost after grounding in Tigris 1.12.15.

And there is a picture here http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205040451 but (of course) I can't see it on-line - shall have to go and make friends with the IWM....

Hello seaJane,

When you have made friends with the IWM, perhaps you will then be able to provide confirmation that the smart white paddle yacht shown in the attached photo moored outside of the British Residency in Baghdad in March 1911, is in fact the Comet (albeit in peacetime garb, without any armanent fitted).

The photo in the IWM collection is apparently taken in 1915, after the Comet got converted into a gunboat.

Michael

post-85749-0-21271000-1431818574_thumb.j

Good heavens! She looks better fitted for a tea-party than for charging into a river blockade under heavy fire in the middle of the night ...

"Comet bore the brunt of the fusillade. One man described the bullets as “pattering” on the vessel’s steel plating “like raindrops on a window-pane”. [...] Despite being a sitting target for every Turk in the vicinity, Comet’s crew stuck to their task. But it was useless. The obstruction remained defiantly in place. Cookson might have considered withdrawing, but if he did the notion was quickly rejected in favour of a daring gamble which, if successful, was liable to turn the Turkish retreat into a rout. His plan was to lay the Comet alongside the central maheilah [dhow] and cut the steel moorings holding her in place. Having issued his orders, Cookson set the paddle-yacht thrashing upstream into a hurricane of fire that not even her steel cladding could withstand. Comet shuddered under the welter of blows. One shell blew away the 6-pounder’s gun shield, leaving Private Arthur May, a marine gunner, to fight on without a shred of cover. There were many other acts of bravery. Gilbert Wallis, a signaller, was wounded and unable to stand, but propped himself up and carried on, while Leading Seaman Ernest Sparks somehow managed to keep his gun in action despite the bolts that held it to the deck working loose."

From http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/special-collections/lot.php?specialcollection_id=108&lot_id=88082

I'll see what I can do, Michael.

sJ

SJ - here the award of V.C ;

COOKSON Edgar C DSC - Killed Lt.Cdr. RN 81L021 Comet C in C East Indies 21.01.16 Gazetted

Capture of Kut-el-Amara 27-28th September 1915 VC - Posthumous

On the 28th September, 1915, the river gunboat "Comet" had been ordered with other gunboats to examine, and, if possible, destroy an obstruction placed across the river by the Turks. When the gunboats were approaching the obstruction a very heavy rifle and machine gun fire was opened on them from both banks. An attempt to sink the centre Dhow of the obstruction by gunfire having failed, Lt.Commander Cookson ordered the "Comet" to be placed alongside, and himself jumped on to the dhow with an axe, and tried to cut the wire hawsers connecting it with the other two craft forming the obstruction. He was immediately shot in several places and died within a very few minutes.

Sadsac

How to spoil a perfectly fine yacht - paint it grey, strip it down and clad the superstructure with sheets of metal armour, send it to war and have a SNO come onboard with a foolhardy plan and an axe in hand!

Seriously, a brave little ship and a brave man (Cookson VC).

Michael

PS Later in the war Surg. Loughlin was also under fire aboard HMS Calypso during the Second Action of Heligoland Bight (Nov 17) when a shell exploded on the bridge killing eight (incl. CO).

:) thanks

And a DSO prior to the `Comet' action ;

COOKSON Edgar C N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 81L010 Clio Senior Naval Officer, Persian Gulf 13.09.15 Gazetted

Area Basra 30.04.15 to 15.05.15 DSO

On May 9th in River Steamer Shushan carried out examination and reconnaissance of El Hair creek, encountering considerable opposition from Arabs who kept under cover among the high reeds. Lt.Commander Cookson though severely wounded early in the action, resumed command after his wound had been temporarily dressed and succeeded in most ably extricating his vessel from a dangerous position under heavy rifle fire.

Sadsac

Honestly, I think the man had no "fear" valve!

Seems `fear' was a stranger to him ! Here another gazetted `award'.

COOKSON Edgar C VC., DSO - Killed in action Lt.Cdr. RN 81L008 N/E

General Officer Commanding Indian Expeditionary Force D 05.04.16 Gazetted

In Mesopotamia 24.04.15 to 28.09.15 N/E Kut-el-Amara, 28th September, 1915.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just realised that what I had taken for a smudgy space filler on the Dix Noonan Webb medal listing page was actually a thumbnail of an illustration of the event. COMET must be at the right hand end. What do you think, KizmeRD? I was baffled by the masts for a moment, but they are visible on your image.

Meanwhile, I am awaiting a reply from IWM Photographic.

post-33278-0-66942600-1433254585_thumb.j

Here a further award to crew of COMET ;

HARRIS William V.H DSC Lt. RN 81L021 Comet

C in C East Indies 21.01.16 Gazetted

Capture of Kut-el-Amara 27-28th September 1915 To be noted for early promotion

On the 28th September, 1915, the river gunboat "Comet" had been ordered with other gunboats to examine, and, if possible, destroy an obstruction placed across the river by the Turks. When the gunboats were approaching the obstruction a very heavy rifle and machine gun fire was opened on them from both banks. An attempt to sink the centre Dhow of the obstruction by gunfire having failed, Lt.Commander Cookson ordered the "Comet" to be placed alongside, and himself jumped on to the dhow with an axe, and tried to cut the wire hawsers connecting it with the other two craft forming the obstruction. He was immediately shot in several places and died within a very few minutes.Handled Comet with great skill and judgement under a particularly heavy fire on the night of 28th September (see above) and undoubtedly saved a heavy casualty list by taking the responsibility, when Lt.Commander Cookson was killed, of making the signal to retire.

Same notation as for Cookson.

Sadsac

AND SJ - in the great pic you posted Cookson is depicted on the bow of the Dhow chopping-away at the hawser mentioned in the award.

Well searched out SJ.

Sadsac

So he is! I didn't notice that.

Here another award for the action ;

KERR Thomas N/E Engineer RIM 81L022 Comet

C in C East Indies 21.01.16 Gazetted

Capture of Kut-el-Amara 27-28th September 1915 DSC

Not only kept the Lascar engine-room complement of the "Comet" in excellent order during action, but assisted in carrying down the wounded under fire.

Sadsac

Comet looks tiny in the picture - any white crew member who didn't get an award must have felt quite left out... ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi KizmerRD,

My making-friends skills have evidently failed me, as IWM is demanding a £30 digitisation fee before they let me see the image :doh::(

Until or unless I can get to the item itself at the IWM I shall have to do without. I suppose it's just possible that Ian Crowley's Kut 1916 has a picture, but I can't see from the sample available from Amazon.

sJ

Hello seaJane,

The image shown in post #3 is from Gertrude Bell's photographic collection.

And the IWM is not the only institution holding copies (thirty quid - ouch!)

You might want to check Newcastle University's archive (Iraq. March 1911 Album Q Photo 038).

- Gertrude Bell was certainly a highly interesting lady - one might even be forgiven for referring to her as 'Laura of Arabia' :ph34r:

Michael

Thanks Michael!

Yes, I must learn more about Gertrude Bell...

sJ

• 5 years later...

Damn *rattles piggy-bank* beyond my financial capabilities.

There really is some dodgy writing in that article...

27 minutes ago, seaJane said:

There really is some dodgy writing in that article...

It's a shocking rag.