Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3inch 20cwt High Angle mount AA Gun Restoration

NigelS

An article in the latest (May 2015) English Heritage Members' Magazine 'Recharged BATTERY' and link to a video on the restoration of a QF 3 inch, 20 Cwt HA (High Angle) mount Anti-aircraft gun of the type used to bring down Zeppelin L12 (said to be one of just three survivors in Britain & six in the world) which has now been placed at Dover Castle.

English Heritage is also hoping 'to recruit and train a volunteer gun crew to perform regular costumed gun drills – in the uniform of the Royal Garrison Artillery – culminating in regular blank firings for visitors to Dover Castle.'

NigelS

Nigel,

We found the Hold Fast for one of these at Shooters Hill 'Digging Dad's Army' as part of a follow on to a Time Team we made. Firepower at Woolwich was exceptionally helpfull with that and hinted that they might like the the item, but I think that size and cost of transportation (even though only a couple of miles) was prohibative.

Rod

• 2 months later...

V. old topic, but thought it may be of interest.

Friday's "i" carried a picture of two uniformed gunners seated on the above, now fully restored.

" Great War gun back with a bang.

A rare First World War anti-aircraft gun is to fire again this weekend, 100 years after similar guns successfully repelled a German Zepplin raid over the White Cliffs of Dover. The gun, one of only six left in the world, was built in 1915 and has been restored by English Heritage. It has now been installed in Dover Castle and will be regularly fired in demonstrations by volunteers".

• 2 weeks later...

There is another example in the Kingdom of Cornwall.....at Pendennis Castle.......a great place to visit when you are down this way. I believe it used to be fired on high days and holidays, but not 100% sure. It is National trust property, with a collection of WW2 artillery.

George.

Oh no there's not! Sorry to say that this is the one at Dover. English Heritage decided to move it to Dover from Pendennis, where it had been part of its gun collection, so that it would be in 'an appropriate historic context' for the GW centenary.

NigelS

That so.....pity, easier for me to get to Cornwall than Dover !!!!

There are some things missing, which I hope were replaced, the floor section between the side cheeks of the carriage did not have the "hollowed" out section to allow recoil on full elevation. Maybe it was a ground mounting that went onto a concrete pad. There is another one in Australia that has the "floor".

I did a full photo-shoot of the Pendennis gun some years ago, never knew they had moved it though.

I need to check as to which breech is fitted, I think it is the later type.

George.

• 1 month later...

There are some things missing...

The latest edition of the English Heritage Members' Magazine (October 2015) carries an update giving that, during restoration, it 'became apparent that evidence was lacking for the original gun-sighting mechanism - nothing could be found in the UK except for small scale drawings. However, a mechanism was found in a museum in Haifa, Israel which appeared to be largely intact.' Subsequently an English Heritage historian has visited and, finding it to be in very good condition, took photographs and measurements 'that will make complete restoration possible. The result will be a re-created First World War anti-aircraft gun, part original and part replica, installed in Dover - the only working example in the world.'

NigelS