Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Endangering Lives

Gardenerbill

There is news item on the BBC about regular disruption at the Gare du Nord when travelers are found to have munitions in their luggage (see link). Previously I have laughed at these people endangering their own lives but how long will it be before innocent bystanders are injured?

BBC News

On a visit to the Somme last year, I was appalled at the behaviour of some people - all Brits. I guess, having been a Sapper, I knew enough to be afraid. Bloody morons!

I don't understand the question, the shell wasn't live was it?

I don't understand the question, the shell wasn't live was it?

How are the railway staff supposed to know one way of the other.

For example, most of the people on my visit to the Somme last year, prior to their visit, did not know what a shell looked like, let alone whether it was live. We also found two British Grenades - we weren't looking for them, they were just lying on the surface of a potato field. How were we to know whether or not they were fuzed? (They appeared to be, BTW.)

Anyone who picks this stuff up in ignorance is a moron - 'nuff said.

The press report does state that the shell was disarmed - which is pretty significant considering the mistakes normally made when reporting anything to do with firearms etc. So it seems that militaria collectors need to be aware that the train is not the way to go for many items.

I go diving overseas a lot and my diving knife needs to be in my checked in baggage (along with my spools of line in case I get a sudden urge to tie up all the crew). The problem here is that it seems that travelling on the train is akin to what you have in your carry-on baggage on the plane.

Obviously I'm not trying to defend anybody moronic enough to try to transport any live ordnance. But what if I 'd gone by train and I saw a nice bayonet and packed it safely wrapped up? Or bought some trench art shell cases?

Cheers,

Tony