Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pear Tree Trench _ Armentieres Sector

Wendy Macpherson

Morning all.

I require assistance in locating Pear Tree Trench, Armentieres Sector.

The New Zealand divisional front was from Pear Tree Trench to the River Lys.

June, July 1916.

Had a quick look to locate the maps and think Pear Tree will be located on:

Trench map: Loos 36

36 NW 2

I have maps of this area but none have named trenches.

Will be back after work tonight. Wendy

Pear Tree Farm is on map 36 NW 4, which is one map south of the one you mention (36 NW 2). The farm is a little above the large number "16". Not precisely sure which trench is the actual "Pear Tree Trench" though - In 1916 trenches sometimes still had different names, depending on the division - you may have to take an educated guess as to which of the trenches near the farm it is.

William

Pear Tree Farm is on map 36 NW 4, which is one map south of the one you mention (36 NW 2). The farm is a little above the large number "16". Not precisely sure which trench is the actual "Pear Tree Trench" though - In 1916 trenches sometimes still had different names, depending on the division - you may have to take an educated guess as to which of the trenches near the farm it is.

William

William you are a star, thank you very much for the coordinates.

Found Pear Tree Farm. I have scratched up about eight trench maps of 36 NW4 from 1916 to 1917 still no trench names.

I will put up a few screen shots in case anyone else is searching for the same area at some time.

Best, Wendy.

post-49999-0-57169800-1431055167_thumb.j

Hi Wendy

My Great Uncle was in that area on the 8/12/1914 with the 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers, I will have a look at the diary to see if it names any of the trenches.

Regards Andy.

Hi Wendy

My Great Uncle was in that area on the 8/12/1914 with the 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers, I will have a look at the diary to see if it names any of the trenches.

Regards Andy.

Thanks Andy that would be wonderful

On 18th August 1916, the 51st HD began to arrive at Armentieres. Just picked up the following from a book: 'The troops that we relieved in the Armentieres area were the Australians and New Zealanders...' They (51st HD) were there for about a month so I will check this evening (when I can get onto a computer) to see if there is any mention of Pear Tree trench.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate a reference to Pear Tree nor a map in the diaries I have checked so far.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate a reference to Pear Tree nor a map in the diaries I have checked so far.

Many thanks for taking the time to look for me, I appreciate you help seaforth.

Looking in Rats Alley it doesn't show. The nearest using map 36 is Pear Street. 36SW3 Richebourg map ref S 10 a, b

John

Looking in Rats Alley it doesn't show. The nearest using map 36 is Pear Street. 36SW3 Richebourg map ref S 10 a, b

John

Thanks John, I have found Pear Street with your coordinates.

I think It may be to far South as the New Zealand divisional front ran from Pear Tree Trench to River Lys.

Pear Street is starting to be around 3-4km's from the river Lys.

Would this be to wider front for the New Zealanders to hold.

post-49999-0-03875300-1431738705_thumb.j