Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fixed Rifles?

MikeyH

Currently reading 'Letters from a Lost Generation', the 'First World War Letters of Vera Brittain and Four Friends'. There are a couple of references to 'fixed rifles' in letters from the front, e.g:- letter to Vera from Victor Richardson from France, 4th March 1917, quote:- 'We were working about 300 yards from Fritz on top, with bullets from fixed rifles and machine guns whistling about'. Could this refer to fire from a known German rifle position? Or can anyone suggest another meaning for the term?

Many thanks,

Mike.

is probably a reference to the military term "fixed line". Essentially one sights a machine gun in daylight on a fixed line. That is to say the gun is sighted and the mount is locked down. Having done this a sentry at night merely pulls the trigger of the weapon without the need to aim.

BTW, its not just a German thing - we all do it.

BTW2, one thing that the general public gets wrong (dues to war films) is the idea that machine guns and Great War sniper loops face forward. For sniper loop to face forward would be suicidal and machine guns are sighted so as fire across one's front. By using several guns one can "interlock" their fields of fire producing a complete "beaten zone" to the front of a position. This is achieved by sighting the guns on fixed line compass bearings.

Hi Mike,

As mentioned above, fixed rifles were not just used by the Germans. We used then extensively. At night it was practically impossible to fire properly aimed shots. Fixed rifles, or rifle batteries, were a practical solution. They consisted of one or more rifles fixed to fire at a given point, say a machine gun position or a gap in the wire. Sometimes they were fired by tripwire, more often from the trench.

I don't have time to research German fixed rifles but, as far as this country in concerned, early fixed rifles were simple affairs consisting of a box or packing case with a rifle secured in it and held in place by a sandbag(s). Quickly more complex designs were introduced with mechanical elevating and traversing provision, spikes to secure the whole in position and holding a number of rifles. Most rifle batteries used in France and Belgium were manufactured in the Royal Engineer's workshops once they were establised. A number of inventors submitted designs for approval.

A good source for more information is "Dominating the Enemy" by Anthony Saunders.

Regards,

Michael.

I understand that fixed rifles (i.e., two or more in a box / packing case frame and set to fire simultaneously) were used in the US of A Civil War, I think for concentrated firing? More on the ball, I have seen in a book (and can probably find) a GW period photograph of four Gew.98's fixed in a frame with a single trigger and two attendees, one with a feldmutze, the other I think an officer's cap - but IIRC, it looked to be behind the lines though.

Trajan

Many thanks for your responses on 'fixed rifles'. Yes, should have known this, have fairly recently seen an illustration somewhere of SMLE's on a wooden structure, with the rifles sitting on sandbags and securely strapped down.

Mike.