Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Cambrai Nov 1917

Guest gruselle

Guest gruselle

I am researching the Death of my Uncle 2nd Lieut H E J Gruselle (WO 374/29683) killed on 30 Nov 1917 at the battle of Cambrai. His medal card shows him as being in 13th London Regt and 15th London - while other records state he was in the Queen's Westminster Rifles. Does the History of the Battle or of the QWR show whereabouts in the Cambrai region he might have been serving on the date of his death?

Henri & Eustace Gruselle Medal Cards.pdf

Henri Gruselle Aviva Employmant & War Record.htm.docx

his MIC says deceased - might be worth checking how he died as that has a huge bearing on your research - also the "missing" dates can be ambiguous relative to death

The CWGC shows him listed as

London Regiment 1st/13th (Kensington) Bn. attached. 1st/2nd London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

That places him in the 56th London Division (which also includes the Queens Westminsters).

If you click The Long Long Trail link above you will be able to look up the 56th and Cambrai.

The 56th were on the far left of the line opposite Moeurves during the battle. There main task was make demonstrations and tie down the flank.

On 30th the Gremans launched a major counter attack in which the 56th were heavily involved.

For information about the 56th I recommend the History of the 56th (London) Division by Dudley Ward.

Regards

Bob

Guest gruselle

Hi Bob

Thanks for all that - I had not looked at the CWGC website for years so I not appreciated the detail it now provides. I will visit the Battlefield in July so hopefully will get to Moeurves.