Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Orilux Officers Flashlight

Andrew Upton

I was on a field trip to the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth today - and in the last 15 minutes of the trip managed to get a really nice condition Orilux torch and leather case for the bargain price of £15!

As I do WW1 living history, I want to get the torch working again. Does anyone have any information (eg adverts, manuals, etc) that explain how the torch works, etc, and does anyone have any idea about how I could get it working (as I understand you need to alter modern batteries to get them to fit/work properly)?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Upton.

Andrew,

Here is a scan of the original leaflet - a bit the worse for wear but they are very rare these days. Hopefully you can read the words. The batteries are the flat type with the thin metal tangs I believe.

The other side of the leaflet follows.

post-23-1100165277.jpg

I was asked this question by someone in the USA a few years ago. You can still get this type of battery. In fact, DURACELL now have (or had a few years ago) a mercury wotsit battery of this size).

If you go to the DURACELL website you will see their entire range. EVERREADY may also do this type.

Or perhaps a good look around a large DIY or hypermarket. My local hypermarket (under my feet) has this type.

Giles Poilu:

Thanks again, this is just what I want! It's a lot easier to read when the colours are inverted. Have you ever thought about getting the instructions professionally restored? A good paper conservator would be able to get out the creases and staining, and repair the missing areas to strengthen it.

Healdav:

Would it be possible to get a more detailed account of the battery I shoud be looking for, as I have no idea of what voltage, etc, it should be?

Hi giles,

Ive got an orilux to. Works fantastic. the batteries which were made for the orilux are long gone.

But fit it with a new bulb and a flat 4.5V batterie it works. Ive atached two wires on the inside to connect to the baterie so its easier to change an put a bit of paper in it for a tight snugg.

coo-ee

patrick