Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary KingsRoyal Rifle Corps 16th Help!

Guest eclaireir

Guest eclaireir

Would be very grateful for anybody who could read and help me understand a page of the War Diary.

Downloaded from TNA, Diary for above Battalion, p.176 for June 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 1917 (all on one page). Harry Sullivan killed 26 June 1917 in Croissilles

Do I read (or not) on 23 June Sullivan "returned from leave to England"? Would a lowly Rfn. (Rifleman?) merit a mention? And on 26th does it read "5 OR killed" and what is an OR? His regimental number was A/201264.

If the answer is 'Yes' then how long might his leave have been? His brother got married on 9 June 1917 and there is a young man in uniform in the photo. I would love it to be Harry.

Thanks so much

OR - other ranks, e.g not officers.

Some diaries name lower ranks and some only name senior NCO's and officers.

Craig

how long might his leave have been? His brother got married on 9 June 1917 and there is a young man in uniform in the photo. I would love it to be Harry.

From service papers that I have seen 7 to 10 days leave is typical.

BillyH.

Just realised that I have my own copy of the diary, and 23rd June actually reads : "2nd Lt. Sullivan returned from leave to England"

This is 2nd Lieutenant Sullivan - not your Harry Sullivan.

As regards the wedding photo, is the soldiers cap badge visible? If it is a KRRC badge then it could be him.

BillyH.

Guest eclaireir

Thanks everybody

Harry Sullivan certainly died on 26 June 1917 - I think it says "5 OR killed" in the WD; and perhaps he did make it home to his brother's wedding, I hope so. He isn't wearing a cap in the photo and sadly there is no other photo of him. Am amazed that "OR" got home leave and pleased too.

Really grateful for your help

Eclaire