Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crewe War Memorial

Mark Hone

The latest issue of 'Private Eye' carries a short item about the threat to move the war memorial in the centre of Crewe, installed by public subscription in 1924, to a new out-of -the-way location and replace it with some ghastly-sounding modern sculpture. The article is very disapproving of this. Given that the 'Eye' has not been 100% accurate about such matters in the past, can any Pal verify this story?

Mark,

There was a bit on tv today regarding moving the memorial. Apparantly the council want to move it 500 yards away to make room for some shops.However, the memorial would then end up very near a busy roundabout.

Bill

Council say the decision's been made. It stands in a somewhat overlooked square in the middle of the town, and is a little ignored in what is a busy commercial area. If moved, it will be to an area between the town hall and the court which is not busy in the sense of people passing by all the time, which is landscaped (the other is all concrete). It is fairly close to a busy roundabout, but there is a busy road alongside it in the town centre. If moved, it has the potential to be almost forgotten. Just my impressions, I don't live in Crewe, but I think it should be for the people of Crewe to decide, not the councillors or commercial interests.