Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help?

Guest stalin

Hello, I have just downloaded my Great Grandfathers medal card and I just wondered if anybody could help. To the right of Star, which has 14 written before it, is "clasp 10755 I.V. 6483/CA 8/3/20" What does this mean? Also underneath is written "SWW list c/524", could this be SWB?

My Nan remembers him getting invited to commemorate Anzac Day every year, does this mean that he served in Gallipoli? He was in the Hamphire Regiment, can anyone give me any advice in trying to trace his service record or a Regimental history?

Sorry to sound ignorant...but I am.

Thanks

the Clasp Reference is the Roll reference to his award of the Clasp to the 1914 Star[issued in 1920 according to your information.]There is no seperate Roll but it is anotated on the Relevant 1914 Roll Page.

The "SWW"refernce is indeed the SWB Reference for the SWB Roll Page Number,which means you can find when & possibly why he was discharged,by obtaining the Roll Page{NA in Person @ present}

You may be fortunate in locating his Service Papers @ the National Archive{Public Records Office ~Kew~London} as he was Discharged & a better percentage of those Papers Survive.

If you Google Hampshire Regiment you should find a number of Sites dedicated to the Regiment~Your local Library will obtain Regimental Histories for a small fee{usually for on site reference only}The 1st Bn;received the 1914 Star,entering France on 23rd August 1914; & the 2nd & 10th Bns went to Gallipoli in 1915,he could presuambly have been in both the 1st then transferred to the 2nd or 10th Battalions{The 1914 roll page should tell you.} Good Luck.

IV STANDS FOR ISSUE VOUCHER NO 6483/CA WHICH WAS DESPATCHED TO THE RECIPIENT ON 8TH MARCH 1920 ALONG WITH THE CLASP.THE IV WAS SIGNED ON RECEIPT OF THE MEDALS/CLASP ETC AND RETURNED TO RECORDS. BEST WISHES, HOWARD.