Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First World War Memorials Programme - Workshops

Guest AWilson1

Guest AWilson1

Do you know of the opportunity to get involved in an exciting and rewarding project as part of the First World War commemorative events?

It is estimated that there are 100,000 war memorials throughout the UK taking many different forms. Throughout the centenary we would like to ensure that they are a fitting tribute to those who gave their lives in the First World War and subsequent conflicts. Over the next four years we will be helping volunteers throughout England to record the location and condition of war memorials and take steps to ensure they are conserved and protected for the future.

Volunteer Involvement

Volunteer involvement in the project is vital. Civic Voice, in partnership with Historic England, Imperial War Museums and War Memorials Trust, is asking for volunteers to record the location of war memorials and carry out condition surveys to establish whether they are in good or poor condition. This will provide an overall picture of the condition of memorials throughout England and assist communities in applying for grant funding for those memorials in need of conservation. A series of free workshops is being organised to provide volunteers with all the necessary training, and ongoing support will be provided by Civic Voice and War Memorials Trust.

To find out more about the project and to find a workshop near you visit www.civicvoice.org.uk/campaigns/war-memorials-/

Our next workshops, which will look at the conservation issues faced by war memorials and how to carry out a condition survey, will be in:

Sheffield on 30th April

Brighton 6th May

Chester 12th May

Leicester 14th May

Sunderland 19th May

Derby 21st May

Lancaster 3rd June

I hope this email provides enough of an introduction to the project in order for you to consider getting involved. It is a great opportunity to make a real and lasting difference to an important part of your local heritage. If you require any further information about the project please contact me info@civicvoice.org.uk

I attended the workshop in Winchester some time back. I went because I have become involved in seeking to arrange conservation relating to two particular memorials.

I found the workshop very interesting, and am still in touch with the conservation team as hopefully we progress to apply for a grant.

One mild frustration with WMT is the invitation to register as a volunteer by paying a membership fee that I found significant. having said which I have been able to upload information to the website without making that contribution, and despite some limitations with the site - do try different ways to search - .the operation can do nothing but good.

It makes sense to ensure that memorials are registered on the IWM site as well, which for some time to come will hold details of many more memorials, but the War Memorials OnLine site allows a detailed description and images to be uploaded, which has to be a very good thing.

Keith

You propose to have a "workshop" in Sunderland. Is this to cover the whole of the North East ???. The local North East War Memorials Project has been recording details and condition of War Memorials for many years. The War Memorials Trust and IWM are fully aware of the project and the details held. Why are you starting again at this late stage ??

Link here to check it out

http://www.newmp.org.uk/index.php

David

Can I please remind those organising these events that there is a world outside England. Wales, Scotland, Northern, Ireland to name but 4.

Why are the organisers so England-cenric! I find this disappointing, to say the least of it, and i speak as an Englishman living in Wales.

Martin

Guest AWilson1

Dear all,

The reason workshops are taking place in England only is down to the way in which the programme is funded, which is through Historic England (formerly English Heritage). However, it is worth mentioning that War Memorials Trust covers the whole of the UK and can provide advice and grants for conservation and repair in all areas.

The forthcoming workshop in Sunderland is one of several that will be held in the North East. We have already held one in Gateshead and plan to run others in Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Morpeth and Durham in the months ahead. We are very much aware of the previous work that has been undertaken by the North East War Memorials Project and Imperial War Museums but the aim of this programme is to record detailed information about the current condition of war memorials. This will give us all a greater understanding of the state of our war memorial heritage and enable War Memorials Trust to disburse the extra £2 million of grant funding that is available during the First World War Centenary where it is most needed.

It is not necessary to pay a membership fee to War Memorials Trust to be involved in this project. The workshops being run by Civic Voice in partnership with the Trust are free and open to anyone, as is the use of www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk However, you may wish to support the on-going work of the Trust by joining up as a regional volunteer but this is in no way obligatory.

I hope that has answered some of the questions raised following my initial email. You can find out more about the project at www.civicvoice.org.uk/warmemorials or contact me anna.wilson@civicvoice.org.uk

Regards

Anna

Anna Wilson

Senior Development Officer (War Memorials)

Civic Voice

60 Duke Street

Liverpool, L1 5AA

Tel: 0151 707 4319

My original comment here was based on an faulty memory so I have deleted it.

Membership of the trust (essential to be a Regional Volunteer) is £20 pa or £150 annually. I am just unsure of what extra benefit other than financial the trust gains by requiring this. the website states there are about 100 regional volunteers; but I wonder how many more there might be without the fee.

keith

Anna

To record the "current condition" it would be useful to know where they and what they look like.

Quoting your website "Volunteers are essential to making this project a success. By helping to locate and record local war memorials"

When I first developed an interest in WW1 I was amazed at the diversity of war memorials and their sometimes odd locations. "Warmemorials online" and the previous national inventory cover only a fraction of them in the NE. Check this by searching Sunderland and its surrounding districts. The new "Volunteers" will be at a disadvantage and will record the memorials they know. The £2M will therefore be spent on only the well known memorials.

David

• 2 weeks later...
Membership of the trust (essential to be a Regional Volunteer) is £20 pa or £150 annually.

The difference between pa and annually being? Apart from £130 that is.

I think you'll find that the £150 is for life membership.

Keith

• 1 year later...

The workshops are open to all and free. They do not insist that surveys are carried out by members - they are happy to receive any submitted (via their website).  And they are very happy to spend money, where appropriate, on memorials that are not on the IWM list. Indeed they are keen to learn of any overlooked memorials.

There is no need to attend a workshop in order to submit a condition survey - you can download the form and have a look at what they are after - most members of the forum would be able to do the basic survey without any training (it's not complicated).  That said I enjoyed the workshop I went to - it's always good to meet like-minded folk.

This may be of interest to Mid Wales Pals.

I attended an event in Llanidloes at the end of January and listened to a short presentation from Nathan Davies, project officer for Powys War Memorials Project 2014-2018. The was also presentation by a student/project officer from Swansea Uni, who are looking to record "lost" or unofficial Welsh Memorials big or small, "Wales at War" project ( www.walesatwar.org) and CWGC's "Living Memory Project".

I purchased a framed War Memorial Roll of Honour from a junk shop, Powys War Memorial Project are interested in restoring it ; until branch closure it hung in a back room of the Rhayader Midland bank. It names 717 employees of The "London Joint city and Midland Bank" killed in World War 1.  A framed roll hung in each branch, another surviving roll now hangs at The Swan Inn, Draycott in the Clay, Staffordshire.

The origional marble and bronze monument now stands at HSBC headquarters, London.

Scan_20170413.jpg

1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 15:33, Phil Wood said:

The workshops are open to all and free. They do not insist that surveys are carried out by members - they are happy to receive any submitted (via their website).  And they are very happy to spend money, where appropriate, on memorials that are not on the IWM list. Indeed they are keen to learn of any overlooked memorials.

There is no need to attend a workshop in order to submit a condition survey - you can download the form and have a look at what they are after - most members of the forum would be able to do the basic survey without any training (it's not complicated).  That said I enjoyed the workshop I went to - it's always good to meet like-minded folk.

Yes, of course. There is also a survey toolkit available and as mentioned an online submission option, and submission forms.