Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt (A/Capt) Ernest James Chapman MC, 1/4th (TF) Bn Norfolk Regt

rob carman

Lt (A/Capt) Ernest James CHAPMAN, 1/4th (TF) Bn Norfolk Regt was awarded the Military Cross (15442 suppl, London Gazette, 12 December, 1919). His name was included in a list dated 3rd June 1919.

Can the dates be used to estimate when the event occurred?

In mid-March 1919 100 1/4th Norfolks were deployed to control nationalist riots in Cairo. Could that have been Chapman’s moment to shine?

Chapman went to the Norwich High School for Boys which would become Langley School.

Rob.

3rd June is the date of the Kings Birthday honours list, if he was awarded his MC for the birthday honours there would have been no citation and maybe awarded for good work.

Andy

3rd June is the date of the Kings Birthday honours list, if he was awarded his MC for the birthday honours there would have been no citation and maybe awarded for good work.

Andy

Thank you.

• 5 years later...

Hello

Rob is Ernest a relative of yours? I'm distantly related to him and wondered what he'd done to win the MC. I've done a bit of research into Norwich High School for boys, as his Uncle and another relative of mine founded the school which he went to as a pupil and later worked at. I seem to remember seeing pictures of Ernest in the school magazine showing that he was in Palestine during the war. Perhaps this was where he saw most action. I'd be interested if you have any more info on him.

Hannah

• 6 months later...

Hannah,

I am so sorry I have been this long in replying.  

I am not a relative.  This is what I have on Chapman and his cousin.

Chapman MC, Lt Ernest James 1/4th Bn, Norfolk Regiment

Cousin of Lt HJ Chapman; EJH was one of several nephews of headmaster and founder, Jeremiah George Chapman (1859 – 1936) that  attended the Norwich High School for Boys [now Langley School].  Ernest James Chapman  became a Lieutenant in the First World War and won the Military Cross.  He became the school’s secretary after the war.  Ernest’s older brother, Sapper George Greville Granville Chapman, was killed in action in May 1917. A cousin, James Henry Chapman, also served in Palestine, and eventually became an accountant for the school.

Chapman, Lt James Henry, 1/4th Bn, Norfolk Regiment (illustration from Langley School WW1 website); Cousin of Ernest James Chapman MC.  One of several nephews of headmaster and founder, Jeremiah George Chapman (1859 – 1936) that  attended the Norwich High School for Boys [now Langley School]. James Henry Chapman, also served in Palestine.

Picture1.jpg

Edited by rob carman
spelling

• 1 year later...

Thank you for replying Rob. This is great family history information. Be interesting to find out why he won the medal. I wonder where it is now?

He was commissioned to the 4th Norfolks from 14th July 1915: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29242/page/7339

image.png.68981486cfb0bc2746bd3750a446bbbc.png

Ernest James Chapman's MC was listed in the LG on 12th December 1919: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31684/supplement/15442

It was not a New Year or Birthday Honours award, but it was for distinguished service rather than gallantry. He was with 1/4th Norfolk Regiment when he won it:

image.png.9dbc0f866258e63aea40ea9939c2b47e.png

1/4th & 1/5th Battalion Territorial Force - From: https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/276/norfolk-regiment/
04.08.1914 The 1/4th Stationed at St.Giles Norwich and the 1/5th stationed at East Dereham both as part of the Norfolk & Suffolk Brigade of the East Anglian Division.
Aug 1914 Moved to Colchester.
May 1915 Moved to Watford and the formation became the 163rd Brigade of the 54th Division.
29.07.1915 Embarked for Gallipoli from Liverpool via Mudros.
10.08.1915 Landed at Suvla Bay and engaged in various actions against the Turkish Army.
19.12.1915 Evacuated from Gallipoli to Alexandria due to severe casualties from combat, disease and harsh weather. The Division went on to engaged in various actions including;
1916 Suez Canal Defence.
1917 The First Battle of Gaza, The Second Battle of Gaza, The Third Battle of Gaza, The Capture of Gaza, The Battle of Jaffa.
1918 The fight at Ras el'Ain, The operations at Berukin, The Battle of Sharon.
31.10.1918 Ended the war in Beirut, Palestine.

Wikipedia: In the Second Battle of Gaza in 1917, the 1/4th and 1/5th battalions suffered 75% casualties, about 1,100 men.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

One other officer from his unit got the MC at the same time (out of c.20 MCs awarded). N.B. that they were both acting Captains at the time:

image.png.4d41864d476f0335a6993070eaeb2848.png

image.png.b11cc06ebd89e8cbf3a2b38c7baaee74.png

Award for 'distinguished service' over a period of time, rather than 'gallantry'. Hence no citation.

Edited by Ivor Anderson