Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RIPON

dave ricketts

One of the copies of the Absentee Voter Electoral Roll in the Local Record Office has handwritten amendments on it. In the case of one of the locals who according to the printed list was serving with 2nd Garrison Bn, East Yorkshire Regt, has two further annotations by hand. One reads "Malaria Concentration Camp - Ripon", whilst the second reads "Transferred to the Reserve". The Medal Roll shows a period with 2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regiment, who served in Salonika I believe, for his British War Medal and Victory Medal entitlement.

Has anyone else heard about or seen any information about this Camp at Ripon? (Sadly, the man concerned died in 1923.)

Chris,

Bertie Johnson, (ex 27661, Private, East Yorks). He is buried in Narborough Cemetery, under a family gravestone. He was only 32.

Dave

Guest Sapper Calling

Dave

Have read the local papers for Ripon, during my research on the War Memorial and Roll of Honour. I have seen no mention of this hospital in Ripon.

Peter

• 6 years later...

One of the copies of the Absentee Voter Electoral Roll in the Local Record Office has handwritten amendments on it. In the case of one of the locals who according to the printed list was serving with 2nd Garrison Bn, East Yorkshire Regt, has two further annotations by hand. One reads "Malaria Concentration Camp - Ripon", whilst the second reads "Transferred to the Reserve". The Medal Roll shows a period with 2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regiment, who served in Salonika I believe, for his British War Medal and Victory Medal entitlement.

Has anyone else heard about or seen any information about this Camp at Ripon? (Sadly, the man concerned died in 1923.)

My great grandmother's address book has this hospital address for her son Driver 35992 J B Gates who was in the ASC. Like your man, Gates also caught malaria in Salonica. He was discharged with sickness on 23 May 1919.

Please may I ask if you know when this hospital was opened?

post-52799-099374700 1294765780.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

Sadly I haven't got anything further at all to add. However, it is nice to get information that the AVL is right, so thanks for that.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 months later...

A bit late in the day, but ...

There was a large hutted military hospital in Ripon - Ripon Military Hospital - which had 670 beds (25 of those for officers) and 70 beds set aside for infectious diseases.

Sue

Interesting to see the term concentration camp being used.

I have for many years been telling people that it was a term in normal usage for a place where there were a lot of people, and had no WW2 connotations at all. Yet another example.