Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tschako Feldzeichen...

Guest bert

Does anyone have a separate (i.e., not mounted on a shako) oval field badge that they could post a photograph of? I am trying to find a replacement for a Tschako, and I need to see what the method of attachment is. I seem to recall that it was a loop of heavy wire, which slid into the slot, but perhaps I am mistaken. With thanks.

Bert:

You are absolutely right - a loop of heavy guage drawn wire is the attachment method. We had a few loose badges 3-4 years ago, and foolishly sold them. This was also unfortunately pre-website, so no photos are on file with the server. (sorry)

Normally, I see collectors taking Nazi police shako badges and painting them up for display on their WWI shakos that were missing this key piece. The attachment method is the same, but frankly this looks like garbage (in my opinion), and the collector would be better off to wait patiently until another original loose badge turns up. Holding your breath until that happens is not recommended, however!

Jeff

shenkursk Very many thanks. I used to see field badges for sale, now and again, but they usually had the attachment removed by collectors who wanted to display them in riker mounts. So, now I'm hoping I'll come across one, and I can supply the missing wire. It was zinc, as I recall. Once again, many thanks.

Bert,

I will take the example off of my M15 Prussian shako and scan it for you this weekend. The wire loop is steel. The field badge is shaped from a piece of wood and covered with woolen material in the appropriate state colors. From where it bends down it is 65mm long. The length from the bend into the back of the badge is approximately another 16mm, including the unseen portion that is in the badge. So, an estimate of the overall length of wire you would need would be about 162mm. The wire thickness is 2mm.

Regards,

Chip

Chip That is extraordinarily kind of you, very many thanks. With that precise information, and the scan to illustrate the exact contour, etc., I should not find it too difficult to supply the missing portion.

Bert,

OK, here is the picture of the back side of the field badge. There is a slit in the black wool between the area where the two ends of the wire go into the wood. When you lift the slit you can see how the wire is attached. There are more bends in the wire before it goes into the wood. I will have to draw you a sketch. Could I e-mail that to you? If you have any addtional questions about construction, just ask.

Regards,

Chip

post-23-1100308815.jpg

Chip Yes, please. The scan is excellent and even with my limited abilities, I should be able to bend up a passable substitute. Once again, many thanks. Bert