Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war memorials

douglass

A few weeks ago I came across a web site that mentions restoring worn graves etc, There is one that is begining to wear in my local church yard, it is a sandstone memorial talbet fixed to a grave stone dedicated to a local man who fell at the Somme. I feel it would be a travesty if this were to erode completly, can anyone point me in the right direction?.

many thanks

Douglass

Douglas,

Whilst I cannot help directly.

Are you talking about a Town Memorial or an individual Family Memorial?

George

its a memorial tablet about 12inches by 7 inches made from sandstone, it has been attached to What looks like his family members grave stone but i am still looking to see if any of his kin survive today, if not i was wondering how I could take this on?.This tablet has been moved from the local landowners garden wall where the man worked prior to military service. and been moved again to the churchyard at some point.

Douglas,

Thank you for the clarification.

As you know I have a personal interest in your Town Memorial which from memory probably needs a clean but is not worn out.

I think you are probably right.It will be the Family's responsibilty to maintain but possibly someone here may be able to offer advice on you taking on the responsibilty in their absence.

George