Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos Battlefield

BeppoSapone

The posting below is taken from the local forum of the town I live in. Is it true? Comments and/or more information please.

"If you read the below I hope you feel as angry as I do. Write, e-mail or telephone your MP and find out what is happening about this.

A French battleground where 8,000 British soldiers lost their lives in the First World War is being turned into a rubbish dump. Bulldozers are already desecrating the human remains which have lain undisturbed since the Battle of Loos in 1915.

The bones of the dead are being churned and brought to the surface. The timing of the move, just days before nations honour their war heroes on Remembrance Sunday, is a slap in the face for ex-servicemen and their families.

The news will dismay military personnel who have launched a massive new Web site - www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk - detailing all the British and Commonwealth soldiers who served in the Great War.

Already a campaign has been launched to stop the plans for a rubbish dump. Richard Lane, historian for the Royal Leicester Regiment, which lost more than 500 men in the bloody assault, said: "It is utter desecration. "If this was happening in England, the people responsible would be arrested."

The Battle of Loos raged from September 25 to October 19 at Auchy les Mines, near Loos in northern France. Thousands of soldiers showed incredible courage as they went "over the top" to march on a heavily armed German hillock. More than 60,000 infantrymen, among them Rudyard Kipling's son John, were killed, injured or taken prisoner. In all, 22 Victoria Crosses were awarded for heroism. So many bodies were lost in the bloody quagmire, the field has become a mass grave to the missing."

One anti-French line removed.