Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glenavy War Memorial, Northern Ireland

swizz

Does anyone have any idea when this was unveiled? I've spent about six months looking through old newspapers and have come up blank.

Which Borough is Glenavy in? Antrim or Lisburn?

The Borough Council should have a date - you may to consult old minute books but I'd be looking for a WW1 Memorial to be unveiled pre-1924.

I know that the local studies in Ballymena has a pamphlet from the opening of our Borough Memorial so your nearest NEELB or SEELB Local Studies department SHOULD (in theory) have something on Glenavy dedication.

Which papers are you trawling?

Des

Good suggestions - thanks. I've been looking in the Lisburn papers and also the Ballymena Observer on the off chance, but Glenavy is rarely even mentioned. It seems to fall between the areas covered by different papers. I suspect it was unveiled either quite early on (say 1922-3) or else in the late 1920s.

I'm looking at First World War memorials and commemoration generally in NI up to 1939 so the pointer to the Ballymena pamphlet is useful. thanks again.

Catherine

Catherine - you may also wish to try the Weekly Telegraph which seemed to cover the whole of present-day Northern Ireland! It requires a lot of microfiche scanning but can be worth it!

Try Yvonne Hirst or Liz Hoy at Ballymena Local Studies, Demesne Avenue. They are really nice people, v.helpful. Should be able to tell you of they have anything 'Glenavy-ish' which might be of use.

Des