Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thank you Harry Moses

charlesa

I just wanted to thank Harry for the wonderful talk that he gave at the DLI Museum in Durham on Saturday afternoon. The event was a sell out and Harry spoke for an hour and a half on the history of Bede College and the baptism of fire that awaited the young recruits who had joined the 8th DLI and arrived at the tip of the Ypres Salient 25th April 1915. A great talk and great photos. Thank you very much Harry, it made my 600 mile round trip totally worthwhile. Best wishes Charles

Yes I can echo the above, but thankfully had a round trip of only 5 miles !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Peter, I have only just seen this so sorry being late in replying. My wife's grandfather was at Bede as a student teacher towards the start of WW1 and joined the 8th DLI with many of his friends, a number of whom failed to return. One of my sons studied there too for 4 years circa 2004-2008. I haven't seen anything specifically written on the Bede involvement in 8th DLI but the best descriptions that I have come across are the War Diary of 8th DLI available for about £3 in the National Archives :

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14055741

or 8th Battalion Durham Light Infantry 1793-1926 by Captain Veitch which gives a fascinating account of their first battle at Boetleer's Farm.

I know that both Harry Moses and his friend Clive Bowery are both experts on the 8th DLI in 1915.

Best wishes

Charles

• 1 month later...

Excellent article about the Bede boys. My Grandfather joined the 1/8 Durham Light Infantry in 1915. He was a miner at Beamish Colliery- so not one of the lads from Durham University!

• 7 months later...

A very belated apology to Charles for not acknowledging his reply. I've only just revisited this thread and the article is excellent, many thanks for sharing it.

• 5 years later...

Many happy memories of Bede College when I was at University in the city. Lovely war memorial set in the grounds which overlook River Wear. Apart from the 1/8th many OBs from the College served in the 18th DLI (1st County Pals)

There is still a tremendous loyalty in County Durham to the DLI despite being disbanded over 50 years ago indicating the strong ties with its recruiting area. My maternal grandfather served with the 1/6th before WW1, although, he transferred to the Royal Engineers in August 1914 and served until he was invalided out in 1917 after being wounded.