Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lee Enfield SMLE question

Canadian J

Good day everyone!

Does anyone know how long the buttstock was on the Enfield issued during WW1 was? I was looking to order one online but they come in a few different lengths for the No1 Mk3, and was hoping to order most accurate length of buttstock as to what was issued during the war. Thanks!

- J

There is no such thing as the "most accurate length of buttstock" however the most common should be those that are either unmarked of marked "N" for Normal. The others were"S" = short and "L" = long. Later there was an even shorter one than short - "B"" for Bantam.

I don't remember what the actual lengths were but there was a half inch difference between them. (I'll try to look it up later, when I am with my books.) That is to say an S was a half inch shorter than an N and an L was a half inch longer than a N. The B was a half inch shorter than an S.

J,

Just measured my 1916 Enfield made Mark3, from the socket to centre of brass buttplate is 12-1/2", this is a 'Normal' length buttstock.

Mike.

Good day everyone!

Does anyone know how long the buttstock was on the Enfield issued during WW1 was? I was looking to order one online but they come in a few different lengths for the No1 Mk3, and was hoping to order most accurate length of buttstock as to what was issued during the war. Thanks!

- J

J,

Here are the 4 Butt lengths for the SMLE rifle :-

N - Normal - 12.1/2 inches.

L - Long - 13 inches.

S - Short - 12 inches.

B - Bantam - 11.1/2 inches.

Regards,

LF

Thanks very much everyone for your input. I am guessing that the measurement then is that of the length between the middle of the brass butt plate to the steel collar of the receiver (if that makes sense)? Also, were most rifles issued with a "normal" length butt? Thanks again!

- J

J,

Yes, would say that the majority of SMLE's would have been issued with the standard butt, N = normal, the length stamp is found on the underside of the butt adjacent to the socket. Someone may have some figures that indicate what proportion were made in the other 3 lengths. The measurement is taken as you say from the end of the collar/socket which forms part of the action body to the buttplate centre.

According to my copy of Skennerton, the Bantam = B, was approved and issued from 8th June 1918,

Mike.

Both logic and the anecdotal evidence from my collection would suggest that Normal length butts were "normal" (ie most frequently issued).

There may (I will need to check my collection) be a higher incidence of Shorter butts on rifles manufactured in India, given likely average statures. My recollection is of the low percentage of non standard butts in my collection (+/- 10%) a good proportion of them are on Indian rifles.

Chris

I love this forum, you can ask anything and someone, usually many, will have an answer! Thanks so much everyone!

- J

Both logic and the anecdotal evidence from my collection would suggest that Normal length butts were "normal" (ie most frequently issued).

There may (I will need to check my collection) be a higher incidence of Shorter butts on rifles manufactured in India, given likely average statures. My recollection is of the low percentage of non standard butts in my collection (+/- 10%) a good proportion of them are on Indian rifles.

Chris

I agree on the Indian rifles. Quick and dirty pic, but who wants to guess which of these Enfields (one BSA, one SSA) was FTR at Ishapore?

The only mark on either butt is on the long one, "E2" just behind the trigger guard.

post-38182-0-53300200-1429640232_thumb.j

Good day everyone!

- J

I would have thought that the "pre war" regulars would have had the time and experience of regular target practice to ensure the correct length of butt was fitted to their rifles. thus there would have been a variety of butt lengths in each unit depending on the range of heights of individuals within the unit. In the haste of arming and equipping the " new army" the correct measurement and fitting of butts was most likely way down the list of priorities, thus most having the "standard" butt length.

My 1916 SMLE, which still shoots very well, has a "short" butt and as I'm only 5'4" suits me very well. I have shot other club members SMLE's with a variety of butt lengths and the differences are noticeable. However, I think that this is due to each rifle being slightly different to its neighbour, thousands were produced but no two are identical. The following site, if you are not familiar with it, provides a wealth of information, and one can waste many an hour viewing its many pages.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/The_Rifle_Short_Magazine_Lee-Enfield.htm

Doug.

I have around 26 SMLEs at least 9 have short butts, 2 have long butts the rest normal length so the percentages are just a case of what you come across, there are no doubt collections out there that have more short butts than long.

If you are looking for a butt get one that suits you & best matches the forend as close as possible, as for the L, S & B stamps, they are stamp on the heel of the butt ie on top near the butt plate.