Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help locating Trenches C1-C3, Zonnebeke

Paul Stephens

Dear all

Could I please ask for any help you might be able to give in placing the 3rd Middlesex on 16th April 1915.

My reading of the war diary places them in the vicinity of Zonnebeke, occupying trenches renamed as C1, C2, C3, but I understand that there were few trench maps available as early as 1915.

Are there any Middlesex experts who could place this in a bit more detail, or alternatively suggest where I might find a contemporary trench map? I have done some initial searches but not found anything sufficiently detailed which covers the correct period.

Many thanks in advance. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul -

I've not seen those trench numbers quoted, but know from research for my recent work on this area that the southern boundary of the 85th Brigade was north of Broodseinde (about 1/3 of the distance from Broodseinde to the railway line, going by the maps) and its northern boundary at Berlin Wood. The war diary of 2nd East Surreys designated part of this line south of the railway as Trenches 23-25 (Trench 25 being the furthest north).

Units opposite were Saxons of RIR 244 (facing the extreme right flank of 85th Brigade), RIR 242 (as far as the railway line) and RJB 25 (immediately north of the railway line) and Hanoverians of Prussian LIR 78 (facing the brigade's left flank).

Hi Andy

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

That is a really helpful starting point and I will certainly follow up.

Thanks again

Paul