Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An early Canadian naval casualty

Terry

I was surprised and pleased to open our local daily newspaper recently and find an article on Midshipman Victor Hathaway, KIA 1 Nov.,1914 HMS Good Hope.

The Royal Canadian Navy was just recently organized in 1914, so many Canadians served on ships of the Royal Navy. In the crew of the Good Hope on that ill fated day at the Battle of Coronel were Midshipman Arthur Silver,20, Halifax,NS; Midshipman Malcolm Cann,18, Yarmouth,NS; Midshipman William Palmer,20, Halifax,NS; and Midshipman Victor Hathaway,19,Fredericton,NB.

They were probably amongst the first Canadians to die in the Great War.

post-24-1100092451.jpg

Yes Terry, they were the first Canadian Naval casualties of the Great war. They were in the first class graduated from the Royal Canadian Naval College & HMS Good Hope was their first sea posting.

Their names are commemorated I think on the Halifax Naval memorial.

The RCN was 'founded in 1910, from the Canadian Marine Service.

I have the medals to the first officer "signed on" in the R.C.N. He had previously served in the C.M.S. from 1908. He was also the first RCN officer to qualify as a pilot with the RNAS in 1915.

Bryan

Hi Terry,

Sorry in advance to jump into your thread with unrelated content; I wondered if you had seen my posting to you on the CEF Study Web Site regarding your 73rd man?

I may have a portrait photo of your man: I just need to access my library where I have a good 73rd Bn. Regt. History buried away (and also get you that obituary I promised earlier)

Regards

David

PS: Finding any time these days is quite an effort

PPS: I have just secured a great (COMPLETE) casualty group that I cant wait to share with you and the forum; I should have it in by next week!

Terry

Thanks for posting that I see most are from my own province and a reminder that Canadians served and died with other forces other than the CEF. I like to take the time to remember all who had died no matter what their nationality.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

Thanks Bryan and N.S.Regt., and David, yes I did get your message re the 73rd pair.

Look forward to hearing details of your latest find. (No, I don't mean Sarah!)

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Terry,

With reference to Early Canadian Casualties, how can I get a picture of the Halifax Naval Memorial, and in particular the names of the midshipmen who died aboard HMS Good Hope.

Would it be alright to use the photo you posted on the Coronel Memorial site, @ www.coronel.org.uk

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

I can't imagine it being a problem. I note that the photo was in the newspaper "courtesy of the Victor Hathaway Chapter of the IODE". This was the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire. The title seems somewhat out of date today, but the organization still exists. I never realized there was a chapter in Fredericton named after this fellow.