Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sub/Lt James Jickell RNVR

Guest stevenbec

Mates,

Can you help with details of this officer and the ships he served in.

Sub/Lt James Jickell was commisoned into the RNVR from the AIF on the 21st July 1916.

He is shown going to HMS Excellent on the 29th Aug 1916 and then to HMS Heather on the 30th Oct 1916.

I take it these are training estabshments?

He is also shown gaining a DSC as A/Lt in action with Enemy Submarines.

Do you know which ship he was in when he won this medal? And what action with what U Boat?

Thanks for any help with him.

S.B

A couple notes

Jickell was Royal Navy Reserve, not Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve.

EXCELLENT is the gunnery training school shore establishment, but HEATHER is a FLower class convoy sloop.

don

Heather was one of the sloops that operated as a Q-ship. She got into at least two actions with U-boats, on March 19, 1917 and April 21, 1917. For the first action Heather's commanding officer, a Lieutenant-Commander Hallwright, was awarded the DSO. Hallwright was killed by a shell splinter in the second action.

My guess would be that Jickell won the DSC for one or both of these actions. I have not been able to find a mention of the U-boats involved in either action though both were apparently of the larger U-series type (not an UB or UC boat).

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael D.R.,

Yes, interesting indeed. I would think the MiD was for the first action based upon the date it was gazetted of May 11, 1917.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi there couldnt help noticing the name. Is your man by any chance from Hull , England?? The name is so unusual that it seems possible. Funnily enough I,ve been looking for a Jickells too but for the artillery not RNVR.

Roop

Mate,

I am unsure of his origin but like many men in Australia they came from the UK but his AIF service record is on the Australan Nataional Archives site to look at for free.

I can say his NOK is shown in Auckland NZ and Enlisted as a Mariner age 26 in Sydney NSW on the 14th Feb 1915 embarking as L/Cpl in the 4th LH Sig Troop.

He joined to British Navy while a Sgt with the 2nd Div Sig Co in Egypt before the AIF moved to France.

S.B