Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave of Adjutant Renault

Andrew P

Can any of the Pals help me in finding where Adjutant Renault of SPA 86 is buried?

He was on a flight on May 4th 1918 when he was accidentally shot down by an Australian pilot on 2 Squadron AFC by the name of Blaxland. I'm researching Blaxland as he came from my local area.

I have an article of the incident from 'Over the Front' kindly given to me by fellow Pal Killratio, & another from the AWM Journal from 1986 but neither say where Renault is buried.

Can any Pal shed some light on this for me or tell me where to look?

Regards

Andrew

Which Air Force was he in?

If the RAF then get in touch with the RAF museum website. They answered a question I had about a grave I had found in about 1 hour!

If the French air force, the new databases of men killed and now, where they are buried ought to solve the problem.

On the French sites, first establish when and where he was killed and other details and then go to the burials website. He will only be in the second if he is in a French war cemetery. Burials in private graves or municipal cemeteries are not listed.

Hi,

On "Mémoire des Hommes", I have found this card of Adjudant Marcel Renaux.

If he is the one that you search, the grave is in the "Carré Militaire" of Nice (Alpes Maritimes)

Annie

post-19-1100087136.jpg

Andrew

Just to add to the confusion, the entry for Adjutant Henri Renault of SPA 86 in Bailey and Cony's authoritative The French Air Service War Chronology 1914-1918 has him as being shot down on 8 May 1918 between Ballieul and Hazebrouck. However, the book says that he was brought down by a Camel of No 4 Sqn AFC! This is the only place where I have seen Adj Renault's death attributed to anything other than the unfortunate encounter with Capt G H Blaxland of No 2 Sqn.

I think that this might be the entry for the man you're interested in.

Best wishes

Gareth

post-19-1100088879.jpg

Thanks for that Gareth & all. I can see that Rennes & Bray are on that sheet but unfortunately I don't speak French so I'm guessing the context in which these places are mentioned, but I gather that he was recruited in Rennes and is buried in Bray?

Looks like I will be investing in a French dictionary :D

Andrew

Try this for starters.

You never let a "Freo man" chabce go by, so serves you right.

Perhaps your thanks & merci to healdav and annie are still in the pipeline ;)

Woops! Assuming again. Thanks OR merci would appear equally appropriate in each case

post-19-1100149457.jpg

Edited by bonza

Hi,

Henri, Louis, Joseph RENAULT, KIA in Bray-Dunes (Nord), May 8th 1918. Bray-Dunes is near Dunkerque.

Born in Chartres (Chartres de Bretagne) December 9th 1889.

Recruitment: Rennes.

I don't find grave.

Annie

So its not just the missus afterall!

1 French / English translation . Try the plaque for starters.

Your most prevalent quote 'Go Freo'.[Thought the Lighthorseman might have been from the 10th picking flowers in Kings Park]

Mine ' Never forget Oz'

Theme - "Never let a chance go by"

2 Appreciaton for contributions by Annie & Healdav, appeared to be 'pending'

But perhaps I missed the "& all"

Possibly - wrong Assumption - 1st language of 1 was English, 1 was French

Smilie following

Pat

Hi Pat

I was remiss in missing giving thanks to Annie & Heald so thanks for the heads up for that part(that was the part I got) :D

'Go Freo' thought it was 'Freo Heave Ho' :blink:

'Go Freo' thought it was 'Freo Heave Ho' :blink:

Yep!

That's what they deserve!

I know it's breaking Forum Rules, but the most poignant last words were from the father in-law. On our last visit to the Western General, his daughter mentioned that the Blues had beaten his beloved Doggies. **** Carlton. He was then transferred, and we never again spoke.