Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Wales Borderers Bayonet

welshdoc

Just found a first for me a unit stamped bayonet. Its an aug 1916 Sanderson in ok condition stamped 5 SWB w2hich must be 5th pioneer battalion South Wales Borderers. Paid too much in an antiques fair but hey ho Ive never had one before

post-8435-0-38143700-1428945893_thumb.jp

post-8435-0-03562200-1428945955_thumb.jp

post-8435-0-24882400-1428946002_thumb.jp

One more pic showing markings on the scabbard which I have not seen on my others

A nice Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonet made by Sanderson Bros. & Newbould Ltd., Newhall Road, Sheffield, with a nice Regimentally marked pommel, plus a matching date scabbard.

The marking on your scabbard ' H.G.R. 1/16 ' is the Maker's mark for a well known bayonet scabbard and military leather goods maker, Hepburn, Gale & Ross Ltd., Grange Mills, Grange Road, Bermondsey, London S.E.1., with the date mark for January 1916, below that is the W.D. ( War Department ) Broad Arrow mark.

Regards,

LF

Thanks for he info I did wonder was the HGR 1/16 was all about now I know :thumbsup:

Pleased to help, another point to note is the ' clearance hole ' drilled in your bayonet's pommel required under List of Changes 17692, approved on 23rd February 1916, which stated that future manufactured Pattern 1907 sword-bayonets will have a hole drilled through the pommel to facilitate the removal of mud, dirt, &c., that may accumulate in the bottom of the mortice for the sword bar of the rifle nose-cap, and so prevent the bolt of the sword-bayonet shooting and locking the sword-bayonet on the rifle.

Regards,

LF

Thanks for he info I did wonder was the HGR 1/16 was all about now I know :thumbsup:

Very nice pommel marking and even nicer scabbard marking, that! Most of these become almost illegible at best and usually disappear during later re-furbishing. A very good find. Have you checked the top surface of the scabbard locket for a serial number? Some scabbards do have these.

There is no serial number on the scabbard . Its a nice thing but condition lets it down with some areas of corrosion.