Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell cases

assafx

Hello,

I need some help identifing a few Austrian/German/Ottoman shell cases that were used for trench art.

they are still await cleaning and a proper photograph (i will get some studio time in may) but since their headstamps were quite clean i took a few shots.

sadly, all of them are slightly bent so i can tell if they are 75 or 77 mm.

i-fpCLzhG-M.jpg

1.is this an Austrian shell case?

i-J5GfFcJ-L.jpg

2: in this case the manufacturer is Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe, but what is the number 21?

also, the ottoman inscription say Krupp (according to my friend who can read it). does anyone know why the name krupp will be engraved on shell case from a different manufacturer?

i-Gj5pd8z-L.jpg

3. in here the manufacturer is Polte Magdeburg i don't know the meaning of s the number 5.

i need help identifying the writing on the primer too.

i-ZkGbj7S-L.jpg

Thank you

Assaf

Also, the ottoman inscription say Krupp (according to my friend who can read it). does anyone know why the name krupp will be engraved on shell case from a different manufacturer?

Assaf, all 3 of these primers appear to have been made by Friedrich Krupp A.G. But only the one is written in the Ottoman script. Primers are made separate to the shells.

Often the original shell case can be reused after firing by inserting a new primer, refilling with charge, and fitting the new projectile. Krupp was a major primer manufacturer.

Cheers, S>S

Assaf, all 3 of these primers appear to have been made by Friedrich Krupp A.G. But only the one is written in the Ottoman script. Primers are made separate to the shells.

Often the original shell case can be reused after firing by inserting a new primer, refilling with charge, and fitting the new projectile. Krupp was a major primer manufacturer.

Cheers, S>S

now that makes sense.

is it safe to say that 'Krupp' was written in Germany during the manufacturing of the primer?

Thanks !

is it safe to say that 'Krupp' was written in Germany during the manufacturing of the primer?

Yes, I believe so. The primers that were made for Turkish orders would have had the name written in the Ottoman script, just as the Krupp field guns were marked.

Cheers, S>S

• 6 months later...

... I need some help identifing a few Austrian/German/Ottoman shell cases ...

Not quite my thing, but I''l give a go at some of those markings that SS has not commented on...

No. 1: That's an old case! I think that Metallwaarenfabrik Berndorf were a Krupp subsidiary....

No. 2: That funny symbol between the names is apparently meant to be a 'Flaming bomb', and is - I gather - characteristic of cartridges made by Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe. The '21' is perhaps a lot number? I understand that the '12' in the primer means you need a primer screw type C/12 for the 3-wrench holes!

No. 3: The Sp406 mark is the Spandau inspection mark for the Patronenfabrik Polte Magdeburg. Not certain what the '5' is, but perhaps a lot number?

Trajan

Yes Berndorf is Austrian and the number (I'm guessing) is possibly a lot number or inspection mark.

If you go to Headstamps (large calibre) on this site http://www.westernfront.nl/ you'll see some examples.

Tony