Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bluecap? Confused

Desmond7

MPs = Redcaps. OK

But I'm dealing with a guy whose father was in WW1 and WW2. In second war he served in Corps Miltary Police as a 'bluecap' ... anyone sort this one out for me?

Des

Bluecaps was a nickname of the Dublin Fusiliers,However in regard to MPs I can only think it might have something to do with Security or Battle Police{The Russians Had Security Police Called "Bluecaps"[Only in Russian]so perhaps Our security MPs also had a similar Nickname :ph34r:

Harry - he is the same guy who is under 'Flamethrower Soldier' on the forum. There is a pic of him in 2nd WW uniform. Can anything be told from that?

He would have been over-age in 1939 but sneaked in to the forces again.

I think he was keen to get into the action again but he only saw service in mainland Britain.

It's a mystery to me!!

Thanks for your interest.

Des

Civilian camp staff at the internment camps on the IOM during WW1 were referred to as "blue staff", due to them being fitted out in blue uniforms and caps. The pictures I've seen show the uniforms were very similar to military uniform.

The Bluecaps were indeed members of the Corps Of Military Police. They were tasked with guarding vulnerable points (dock, ammo dumps, stores etc) from sabotage/theft

All The Best

Chris

Thanks to all.

Another little story fully explained thanks to the Forumites!!

Des

Didn't answer directly, as I prefer to check my facts.. but I knew it was either 'KEY POINTS' or 'VULNERABLE POINTS' .

Additionally, they wore a dark blue diamond on the upper sleeve with the letters KP in scarlet thereon. The others wore the same, but saying VP. Both are quite scarce (in the original, at least)