Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4.5 in Howitzer Mark & Manufacture

new3.2

I have a carriage plate for a 4.5 inch howitzer. It is marked: 4.5 in Q.F. How. Mk IL

C&S ltd. 1918

REG N0 C29471 [broad Arrow]

Questions- What is the Mark number? I can't believe it is Mk 49 using Roman Numerals. Who is the manufacture? Any information would be welcome. Thanks, Ken

I have a carriage plate for a 4.5 inch howitzer. It is marked: 4.5 in Q.F. How. Mk IL

C&S ltd. 1918

REG N0 C29471 [broad Arrow]

Questions- What is the Mark number? I can't believe it is Mk 49 using Roman Numerals. Who is the manufacture? Any information would be welcome. Thanks, Ken

Ken,

If you are referring to the Gun's Carriage rather than the 4.5 inch gun, with the gun being designed in 1908 by Coventry Ordnance Works and made mainly by Coventry Ordnance Works, and also by the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich, along with some other manufacturers including Vickers.

With regard to the Mk IL on the gun's carriage plate, using the alphabet, ' IL ' represented the 12th revision to the gun carriage's design, and there is a reference to a 1920's revision to the 4.5 inch Howitzer's Gun Carriage when rubber tyres were added this being Mk IR.

As to the carriage's maker C & S Ltd., as yet, I have not found any reference to C & S Ltd.

Regards,

LF

Have you a picture, this is one of my favourite items.

post-11859-0-53747700-1428556808_thumb.j

Is yours a field find?

Is yours a field find?

No, I got it from a bloke who moved on choice pieces of reclaimed scrap, I think I only visited to get an old fashioned tractor seat.

It's A lovely piece

TT

Hello- Thanks all for your information. Will try to post photo of the plate; and it of course came from e-Bay about 10 years ago. It goes with a 4.5 cordite container I got from an ambulance driver 50 years ago. It even had a little of that "fish line" in it.

Ken