Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Mk III w/ regimental connection

RangeRover

Excited to share my newest Ross Mk III. I've been on the hunt for some time for an example that shows a direct connection to the Canadian Expeditionary Force in the Great War - my first example carrying only factory markings.

This weekend, at a local show that featured a surprising number of full wood Ross rifles (Mks II and III), I found my grail and picked up the example pictured below. Complete, and with a sharp CEF mark as well as markings linking the rifle to the Canadian Mounted Rifles.

IMG_6977.jpg

IMG_6978.jpeg

Nice rifle, and beautifully marked.! That woodwork looks gorgeous, what is marked in the other roundel.?

Cheers, S>S

Excited to share my newest Ross Mk III. ... This weekend, at a local show that featured a surprising number of full wood Ross rifles (Mks II and III), I found my grail and picked up the example pictured below. ...

Very nice find! And a very nice set of markings there! I share in your joy!

Mind you, it sounds like these Ross rifles are a bit like London buses.... Wait for hours and then three come along together...! Seriously though, it sounds like your weekend was rather like mine, with a choice of four Ottoman and two GB WW1 bayonets to take a pick from, never mind the others that would fit into my Turkish collection... Talking of which, does the bayonet also have markings indicating a CEF connection?

Trajan

S>S, the roundel to the left of the "III" marking is the Ross Rifle factory roundel, and the one below the serial number is "CEF 16". The meaning of this marking (there are CEF 15 and CEF 14 markings found on Ross rifles as well) are a bit murky. Initially thought to represent CEF battalion numbers, but the thinking now is that the 16 (or 15 or 14) is a year reference. If anyone here has a source that sheds more light on this I, and other Ross collectors, would love to hear about it.

Trajan, the bayonet is serialed (not to this rifle, sadly) but this example has no specific regimental markings as others do. Gives me something to look for going forward. And congrats on your new acquisitions.