Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remington M1917 Bayonet

JMB1943

Photos of said item usually show, on the reverse ricasso, the "flaming bomb", "US", and a stylized "eagle head".

Beneath the "eagle head" there is a number, e.g., "14", "26" etc. Is this ascribed to a particular inspector, a batch (week/month) or some other cause ?

Regards,

JMB

I believe that is an inspector number.

Chris

Finally remembered to flip through my copy of C.S. Ferris' United States Rifle Model of 1917.

Yes, individual inspectors, regardless of factory. (Some apparently moved between).

Also, my 1917 bayonet was marked by the aforementioned inspector 26. It is a Remington.

On my Remington 1917's, inspector numbers:

11 on an early one (no clearance hole - c. October 1917)

15 on an early one (no clearance hole - c. October 1917)

3 x standard 1917's; 12 / 22 / 26

2 x 1918 marked; 11 / 13

Cheers,

Tony

I'll try and search later but I do recall that some time ago somebody on GWF was collecting M.1917 Inspector numbers - I think they went as high as the upper 20's. It would be nice to have them collected as a reference base, and to see if the inspectors did move around or were appointed to individual factories. Just one of those little pieces of information that builds up the bigger picture!

Trajan

Thanks to all who put me straight on this & provided examples.

Trajan---I did eventually find the earlier thread (trick must be to make the search terms VERY general)asking about low/high inspector numbers.

P'17 BAYONET MARKING

in Arms

Started by collectorsguide, 30 Nov 2013

Last Post by collectorsguide, 03 Dec 2013

Collectorsguide mentioned that he needed the info. for a book; I wonder if that has been published yet.

26 Inspectors for M1917 bayonets seems a lot, but perhaps not if Remington was producing ~1000/day or more. That would be ~5/hr/inspector, which seems low if only a blade bending test is performed. Is it known how Remington organized its' manufacturing & inspections---bayonets only for any given inspector ?

Regards,

JMB

Thanks JMB, I knew there was something somewhere - and yes, I wonder if a book or article ever appeared on this?

I do sometimes wonder if the MODS might consider having a separate bayonet forum - or better still, bayonet forums, by original maker/user, which would make searches easier, but I do realise that would take time, effort - and money!

Best,

Trajan