Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

?Button stick

auchonvillerssomme

This item was sold to me today as a horse harness cleaning stick, I know nothing about horse harness but I'm pushed to see what it was used for.

My impression was a button stick, but it is thicker and heavier than the usual. My other thoughts were that it is nothing to do with either and was some sort of lever.

Thoughts please?

Mick

post-11859-0-71807700-1428236127_thumb.j

Hello Mick,

That is an interesting photo, it certainly looks to me to be a button stick, I don't see anything about it that would suggest a lever, as you are aware button boards/sticks came in all shapes, sizes, materials and gauges. My own rule of thumb is that the narrower they are, the more likely they are to be continental in origin. I had a quick look but couldn't match it up with anything.

regards

khaki

ps, the slim lines give me the impression that it may be a civilian item for polishing buttons, the sort of item a 'valet' might have had back in the

Victorian/Edwardian days,

I've not seen anything like it, its around twice the thickness of the usual British brass examples, I doubt it would have been welcome in many haversacks. The larger hole is just over an inch so will fit the large buttons. The lever comment was a bit tongue in cheek, it feels right.

For 10 quid a nice addition.