Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying Soldiers

chickadee2212

looking at attachemnt below - would you say that this solider was a member of the Machine Gun Corps? If not what would you say?

please help as i'm totally stuck

post-23-1100023504.jpg

He is certainly a member of the MGC from the collar dogs. I changed the image and they become very clear. Also revealed is a wound stripe on his left sleeve with another emblem above it. Can anyone recognise this one ?

post-23-1100024375.jpg

I agree it certainly looks like Machine Gun Corp but thought the guns more like Lewis Guns than Vickers, does this date the badge/photo any???

Roop

Could it be the School of Musketry badge? I have just had a look at the Motor Machine Corps badge and its crossed guns look much chunkier than those in the picture.

John Milner

On balance.... It is incontrovertibly a Machine Gun Corps badge, crossed Vickers, crown above. There were no badges of 'crossed Lewis Guns'. It's not the School of Musketry

The balance of evidence indeed suggest that he is indeed Machine Gun Corps. However, collar badges for Ranks were expressly forbidden during the war - so they were not 'general issue' during hostilities. But... there is firm evidence that the 33rd Battalion, MGC - at least - wore these collar badges during the war.

The first 'official' wearers of the crossed Vickers collars for Ranks were the Machine Gun Guards, and successively the Guards Machine Gun Regiment. I think he's probably not Guards, as he's wearing a P14 leather belt - not something I'd associate with the Guards, but I could be corrected on that one.

The Motor Machine Gun Service - before they were absorbed by the MGC (Motors) did not have Ranks collar badges. But indeed, the guns of the MMGS badge were 'chunkier' - but still Vickers.

Looking at the lightened version - the cap badge is MGC.

Therefore... mid-to-late war MGC, with a wound stripe, and the 'MG' in a wreath of the qualified machine gunner and atypically wearing collar badges.

Example of MGC insignia.

A total of 170,500 officers and men served in the MGC of which 62,049 became casualties, 12,498 being killed. They well earned the nickname ' The Suicide Club '.

Created in time of war the Machine Gun Corps was disbanded in 1922.

post-23-1100039540.jpg

thanks for the help

we think the photo is late 1916 early 1917 because he's sitting with family (i've cropped the picture)

i have another picture wih his regiment if that will help more

(i'll post later)

He is wearing the MG proficiency badge for 'Machine Gun' meaning the Vickers.

Rgds

Tim D

Guest deepathart

Wow, they would glow in the dark, all those shiny buttons in a neat row.

Chickadee, I posted the picture I have of the button ,that appeared similar to you reply, can you please have a look at it and see if it looks the same as yours.

It is the last button on the jacket - that is the clearest one. Its under Buttons on this section.

Regards

Dee

• 2 weeks later...

Definately a Machine Gun Corps man - he's even wearing the MGC shoulder titles.

Interestingly, he may also be wearing the I for infantry under the MGC - note how the MGC titles are placed further from the edge of the epaulette than is usual - although I cant clearly see the I, if it is there.

Looking at the photographers reference bottom right, is it possible that this photo was printed back to front (or whatever the term is for left to right). I can't make out whether his shoulder titles spell MGC correctly or are reversed.

Steve

Steve,

The photo appears to be correct. SD Jackets buttoned left over right so that orientation is correct. The numbers on the bottom right are very odd.

Joe Sweeney