Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Paul's Catherdal - Fire watching

GNH

During WW1 my grandfather (who was a surveyor working in the City of London) was a volunteer 'fire watcher' or 'fire warden' at St Paul's Cathedral. I was told that this role meant that he had to be at the highest point in the cathedral (the ball) and look out across London and report any building fires he noticed. Does anyone else know of this voluntary role? Was it part of a larger service across London? Who would have organised it?

Graham

Graham

The British Fire Prevention Committee, an unofficial self appointed group, issued guidelines for precautions for the prevention of fire and the safety of civilians using cinemas, theatres and places of worship, during the time of air raids. It is possible that the task performed by your grandfather was part of actions taken by the fire brigade to meet these precautions.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for this. It is an area I know very little about. He died in 1939 and I never knew him.

Graham

Dave, this is an excellent article. So he was a member of the St Paul's Watch!! I have a sectional plan of St Paul's showing all the fire hydrant points throughout the building floor by floor dated May 1916. It is quite large (approx. 30" x 20") but folder so as to fit in a pocket. I suspect this was issued to each watch member.

Graham

Graham

Glad to have been of help. I note that in WW2 the St Paul's Watch had their own badge - I wonder if they had one in WW1?

http://www.sallysbadges.com/shop.php?c=150

Dave

Dave. Yes they did have a badge. I remember my grandmother telling me that he lost it (sometime after 1925 and he died in 1939) and he was very upset about it. I have a photograph of him wearing the badge on his jacket.