Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos 1915

Guest scarletto

Guest scarletto

Bulldozers are already turning a battlefield into a rubbish dump, bones and associated debris are being brought to the surface. The field had been turned into a mass grave, as so many were lost in the mud. Just seen this reported on AOL news.

Unfortunately the AOL report is the usual ill-informed nonsense-apparently 'military authorities' are behind the MIC on-line project for example. Reminds me of the Sunday Times article which claimed that the WFA was responsible for the upkeep of the entire Somme battlefield. Exactly how big an area is this proposed dump on Hohenzollern Redoubt?

Hello Mark

It seems that the Redoubt has split ownership and the part in the area of the junction of West Face and Little Willie trenches are the parts that are being used at the moment.

Andy

Unfortunately the AOL report is the usual ill-informed nonsense

On the plus side it has got a hyperlink to this forum's mother site embedded within the article :D

AOL or the Redoubt? I have never had to re-install my systems because of a Redoubt ;)

Andy

Sorry-probably being a bit harsh on the AOL story which is at least covering a World War One topic and does have the good sense to highlight this esteemed site. I think that anyone with a little knowledge of a subject is always hypercritical of the errors and misunderstandings which seem to creep into any report in the media-assumption that 'casualty' means 'killed', confusion of campaign and gallantry medals, unfamiliarity with military terminology or the respective roles of the Royal British Legion, Commonwealth War Graves Commission etc. No doubt railway buffs, aircraft enthusiasts and the like get similarly incensed by mistakes on their pet subject!

Sorry-probably being a bit harsh on the AOL story

Mark.............Don't be so hard on yourself....................I think their headline 'French desecrate 8,000 British Graves' sums up the article.............inaccurate, misleading & more in keeping with a Tabloid newspaper.

Great photos Andy.

Cheers Andy. I have about a dozen more battlefield "photo tours" to do. The website shouldn't really be up at the moment but I wanted to check whether the menu worked on the host server.

Andy