Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet from WW1

Bill37Amy

I have a bayonet ( photos posted in my gallery)that my mother believed my grandfather had acquired at the Somme from a German soldier but when examining it there is an arabic inscription so do you think he may have got it in Galipolli?

I would think that Gallipoli was the best bet unless he also served in Palestine, looks to me like a Turkish 1903 model.

khaki

I have a bayonet (2 photos posted in my gallery)that my mother believed my grandfather had acquired at the Somme from a German soldier but when examining it there is an arabic inscription so do you think he may have got it in Galipolli?

I would think that Gallipoli was the best bet unless he also served in Palestine, looks to me like a Turkish 1903 model.

This technologically challenged guy can't find your 'Gallery', Bill37, but Khaki obviously has...

A Turkish M.1903 is unlikely to have seen service with the German army on the Somme, but a Turkish M.1887 could have done - and would have an Osmanli text on the ricasso. The key is - are there 'Arabic' (i.e., 'Persian') numbers on the crossguard? If, so, then it saw Ottoman service, and could have come from anywhere in the Ottoman Empire - or even be a souvenir from any one of the countries involved in the Balkan Wars...

Trajan

Its a Turk M1903 alright & should easily clean up into a very nice example but think we need S/S to translate the makers name as I still cant tell 1 from the other (all looks liks bloody alien writing to me for chuffs sake)

Its a Turk M1903 alright & should easily clean up into a very nice example but think we need S/S to translate the makers name as I still cant tell 1 from the other (all looks liks bloody alien writing to me for chuffs sake)

Well, unless a completely new maker, then Simson or Weyersburg Kirschbaum.

If it is this one then it is Weyersburg; it it ain't well, ...!!!

post-69449-0-60900800-1427817239_thumb.j

What does ...!!! mean?

Should be a mark for a Simson - but I canna see the piccies! The Simson mark has what looks like a ن at the top...

Hi Trajan.

I can't believe I am giving you advice.

Not wanting to tell you how to suck eggs if you have already tried this but to view the pictures please do the following:

Click on Bill37Amy this will open the profile page, then at the bottom of the left hand column you will find the word 'Gallery'

I am sure you will work out the rest.

Cheers

Steve

I can't believe I am giving you advice.

Not wanting to tell you how to suck eggs if you have already tried this but to view the pictures please do the following:

Oh, I need advice on these things! :doh: And happy to have it! :thumbsup: Thanks! And I see that it is a Weyersburg after all - needs a bit of clean though....

Hmmm, interesting feature, that gallery thing...

Trajan

A very nice set Steve. While the bayonet is of primary interest - uncut Turkish bayonets are not often seen here in the US, especially with scabbards AND frogs! - but the belt also interests me. May we see a picture of the buckle? Is it Turkish or German?

Sorry I cant work out how to put photos on this thread. Ive put a couple of photos of the belt in me Gallery. There is no buckle.

Thanks for the new photos, excellent work. It is a German made belt for their standard M1895 buckle and, while I can't make out the maker's name, the "1915" date is plain. Turkey also used this style belt with their star and crescent marked buckles so it could have the same provenance.